The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WPE Economic and Social Empowerment Officer
Location: Konduga, Borno
- Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) violates a woman’s human rights, threatens her physical and mental health and limits her educational and economic opportunities with repercussions for her family and community.
- The link between women’s financial independence and gender-based violence has inspired programs aiming to empower women economically as a potential violence prevention strategy.
- The Economic and Social Empowerment Officer will be based in Konduga with frequent visits within and outside Borno state as the Job demands. He/she is responsible for conducting assessment to identify communities and implement the economic and social empowerment (VSLA) and gender discussion group sessions.
- This will include VSLA Participants and their male partners on various aspect of household and relationship dynamics, including household financial planning, communication, power dynamics, negotiation skills and decision making.
- He/she should work in collaboration with IRC ERD sector to enhance coordination and service delivery to beneficiaries. He/she will work with ERD Sector to conduct training of trainers (TOT) in VSLA and gender group dialogue sessions.
- He/she should do regular field visits and attends group meetings, Monitors and provide support where necessary.
- He/she should play active role in building up community capacity to effectively run EA$E groups. This position reports directly to the WPE Senior Program Manager.
The responsibilities of the EASE officer include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with WPE Community mobilizers and ERD to conduct an assessment to identify communities for the establishment of EASE groups
- Work alongside women and ERD to establish and train groups in VSLA, Gender discussions and business skills.
- Conduct a TOT of staff and partners in VSLA, Gender discussions and business skills.
- In collaboration with ERD and women groups design a group bye-laws and support groups to elect their executives.
- Organize and facilitate a gender dialogue sessions with VSLA participants and their male partners.
- Ensure to check records during VSLA meetings for accuracy and provide support where necessary and share data with M&E officer and senior program Manager.
- Document and share challenges with ERD and WPE Senior program manager and design strategy to address challenges.
- Provide any Village Savings and Loan Association information and security related to security focal point and WPE Program Manager in a timely manner for action.
- Provide weekly report
- Submit detailed monthly and weekly plans to senior program manager in a timely manner plans.
- Attend staff meetings and training events as required.
- And any other duties assign by the senior program manager or the program coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Social Work and Social Administration or related field
Skills and Experience:
- Strong experience working with community groups
- Great communication skills and ability to clearly and effectively convey complex concepts to populations with limited numeracy and literacy skills
- Excellent training and mentoring skills
- Familiarity with savings and credit schemes (VSLA methodology preferred)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and to foster team spirit
- Belief in and understanding of gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment
- Willingness to travel to field sites frequently and, preferably, experience working in GBV programs and in rural settings.
- Should be a Team Player.
- The positions are located in Maiduguri the situation in northeast Nigeria continues to be volatile and the security phase is orange or red depending on location. This is a national position.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
5th March, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should send their CV’s and Cover Letters to email address: “The Senior Admin/HR Manager, International Rescue Committee” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read: “WPE Ease Officer”
- Hand delivered application should be sent to the IRC Maiduguri Field Office.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Interview.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.