The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Armed Violence Reduction Facilitator (National Contract)
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and planning to run an office in Yobe, besides 50 staff members subject to increase in near future. Since July 2015, DRC/DDG have started up emergency operations in Nigeria in order to respond to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in northeastern Nigeria. DRC/DDG currently have a representational office in Abuja as well as bases in Yola, Mubi and Maiduguri. In 2016, DRC/DDG will commence an EU-funded programme that seeks to promote stability and socio-economic recovery in Borno and Adamawa states. The programme will focus on four key programmatic axes:
- Promoting socio-economic recovery and sustainable livelihoods
- Addressing the needs of youth at affected by displacement and at risk of criminality and radicalisation
- Enhancing community protection and conflict mediation capacities
- Reducing the risks associated with mines/explosive remnants of war (ERW)
- Direct operational implementation of AVR activities in the DRC/DDG areas of operation (community safety planning, conflict management education, dialogue facilitation, youth engagement).
- The AVR Facilitator is responsible for the implementation of the activities of the project with the level of quality required and in a timely manner.
- The AVR Facilitator is also in charge of liaising with the project stakeholders, establishing a wide network including the authorities, security services, communities, NGOs, and other possible sources of information.
- The AVR Facilitator will collect data and report on a daily basis to his/her Supervisor.
Essential (+ or – if needed):
- University Degree in Social Science or tertiary education in any other relevant field will be a preferred
- Experience in community mobilization, facilitation of workshops or other participative activities (focus groups, mediation processes, etc.) necessary.
- Knowledge of local communities; actual inhabitants of these areas are preferred
- Fluency in local language and English language speaking, reading and writing
- Must be able to remain neutral when working with communities
Desirables (+ or – if needed):
- Previous experience working with youth
- Previous experience working for an international or national NGO/civil society organization
- Strong facilitation, interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Willing and able to work for long hours when requested
- Creative and willing to learn new things
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, G-mail)
- Availability: March 2018
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Application Closing Date
22nd February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- This is a recruitment process in progress and thus, qualified candidates can and will be invited for an interview before the closing date.