Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is a bilateral development agency fully funded by the Government of Japan as the implementing arm of Japanese Official Development Assistance. In Nigeria, JICA has been operating a wide range of projects/programmes contributing to promotion of Economic Growth through Infrastructure Development and Poverty Reduction through Social Development.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: In-house Consultant for Programme Assistant in Health Sector
Duration: From 1st October 2017 till 31st of March 2018 (with possibility of renewal after the probationary period)
Type of Contract: Consultancy Contract
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is a bilateral development agency fully funded by the Government of Japan as the implementing arm of Japanese Official Development Assistance.
- Over the decades, JICA has been actively engaged in socio-economic development and infrastructure development of Nigeria in various fields, through Technical Cooperation, Grant and Loan Assistance and Development Studies.
- In order for smooth and efficient programme management of the JICA Nigeria Office, we are seeking for ONE (1) consultant with strong competency in assisting work for Programme Management in Health Sector.
Scope of Work
- Under the Supervisor in JICA Nigeria Office, provide technical and administrative support to ensure that the Programme team meets the highest standards in compliance with JICA corporate policy and procedures thereby contributing to JICA Nigeria Office’s strategic objectives. As part of the team, the Consultant is expected to contribute to efficient and effective programme operation, data collection/analysis, monitoring and reporting as well as administrative assistance of the target areas where necessary.
- All assignments shall be conducted;
- In full compliance at all levels with JICA regulations and standard procedures liaising with JICA HQ;
- In timely manner to ensure deadlines are well met; and
- In conjunction with relevant colleagues, assist and advise with all aspects of office management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project/Programme Management with focus on Health Sector:
- Under direct supervision and guidance of the Supervisor, as part of the Programme team, the Consultant will demonstrate technical and administrative support abilities and commitment in all aspects of project cycle management in the concerned projects/area;
- Project for Strengthening the capacity of the Nigerian Public Health Laboratories to adequately respond to threats of Infectious Diseases
- Project for Strengthening Detection of and Response to Public Health Threats in Nigeria
Assessment of network laboratories
- Supporting on-going survey and project formulation activities on laboratory construction and assessment of network laboratories
- Coordinating daily communication with Nigerian stakeholders on infectious disease control
- Collecting and updating information of other donors’ activities and trend on supporting laboratories in Nigeria
- Attending and following up National Laboratories Technical Working Group
- Project for Strengthening Pro-Poor Community Health Services in Lagos State
- Occasional monitoring of project implementation and provision of necessary support
- Coordinating communication between JICA health experts based in Lagos and stakeholders in Abuja
Promoting project’s PR within FCT [Cross-sector collaboration]:
- Promoting cross-sector collaboration with other Programme team in the office, Japanese organizations (Private Companies/Universities/Institutions etc.,) and/or relevant outside partners
- Arrange and coordinate the meetings, workshops, trainings sessions and other necessary events with other stakeholders such as Nigerian MDAs, International Development Partners, and CSOs/NGOs;
- Prepare speech scripts, letters, documents for presentation, reporting and others related to the programmes;
- Collect, analyse and compile data/information in the target areas as a joint work with the Programme Team in JICA Nigeria office, Nigerian MDAs and other partners;
- Resolve problems and queries, liaising with JICA colleagues, project implementers and external stakeholders as required;
- Engage in procurement of goods and services related to the project in charge;
- Monitor and provide advice in implementation and monitoring of projects/programmes;
- Assist in post-evaluation of projects/programmes and complete post-evaluation reports;
- Assist in planning and formulation of projects/programmes through information collections, coordination with MDAs and other donors, and other necessary activities;
- Contribute to knowledge/information sharing within the team thereby to elaborate cooperation strategy to Nigeria;
- Contribute to strengthening result-oriented management and increasing efficiency and effectiveness of programmes;
- Identify possible improvements or adaptations to the JICA’s programme and contribute to its realisation; and
- Perform other duties may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- JICA Knowledge Co-Creation Programme (Training Programme in Health Sector)
- Engage in overall training management from nomination, dispatch and follow-up maintaining close liaison with the JICA office’s strategy, JICA Experts and their Counterparts;
- Coordinate with Ministry of Budget and National Planning and specific MDA in the selection of participants;
- Assist participants in developing pre-study reports when necessary; and
- Follow up action plans of the Ex-participants and assist their activities.
Procedural and Financial Management:
- Ensure accountability in budget management of projects/programmes, such as monitoring disbursement, checking necessary documents and processing payments; and
- Assist project implementers to conduct financial audit and reporting in a timely manner.
Administrative Support/Corporate Requirements:
- Provide support for co-workers within and outside own Programme team to promote efficient and effective work style in the office;
- Provide support for office’s PR activities;
- Organize appointments and confirm logistics where necessary; and
- Perform other administrative duties that may be assigned.
- A National of Nigeria or a person eligible to work in Nigeria;
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant fields;
- Proven track of relevant experience for more than 5 years among Government, Development Partners or CSOs/NGOs ,etc.;
- Extensive capacity in project management within the team;
- Strong communication skills to express complex ideas to and negotiate with various stakeholders;
- High Level Mathematical Thinking;
- High-level Information-gathering capacity through literature survey, internet survey, on-site interview and other appropriate ways;
- High-level reporting skills;
- Excellent knowledge and operation skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability of making up realistic time frame and strong capacity of time management to ensure all assignments to meet deadlines;
- Ability to seek creative win-win solutions within a limited budget;
- Ability to handle responsibility and occasional high work-loads under tight deadlines;
- Ability to develop trust, respect and team work within and outside the team;
- Self-disciplined in interaction with internal/external stakeholders;
- Understanding of accountability and responsibility in full compliance with JICA regulations and operating procedures;
- Understanding and being competent in the following expected values of the Consultant:
- Sympathy to JICA Mission
- PDCA cycle for improvement
- Initiative in duty
- Awareness of benefit/cost
- Multi-dimensional view
- Service mind to clients
- Speedy and timely delivery; and
- Providing necessary information to colleagues and supervisions for team work
- Respect and loyalty to JICA’s Vision, Missions and Principles; and
- Willing to work for Japanese organization.
The minimum consultancy fee is 200,000 Naira per month, depending on experience.
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a completed Application Form by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org