UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Job ID: 11877
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work.
- The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- The Driver provides driving services to the UNOCHA staff in Nigeria, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensure that the assigned vehicle is wash and clean.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Ensure insurance cover of assigned vehicle is valid.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the OCHA transport services.
1.) Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain variety of computerized business machines and office equipment to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
2.) Managing Data:
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data, demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative.
- Transmits file data: creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and or /identifies patterns which support the work of others.
3.) Managing Documents, Correspondences and Reports:
- Creates edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
4.) Planning, Organizing and Multi-tasking:
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
5.) Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
- C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 2 year(s) experience
- 2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in English is required, good knowledge of local Nigerian language is desirable.
Application Closing Date
13th September, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online