The World Bank is supporting the Government of Nigeria and the Oyo State Government to prepare the Ibadan Urban Flood Management Project (IUFMP) that aims at developing a long term flood risk management frame work by initiating risk assessment, community awareness and providing enough flexibility in the project design to make changes based on learning.
In furtherance of the implementation of the lbadan Urban Flood Management Project (IUFMP), applications are welcome from suitably qualified applicants to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Environmental Safeguard Consultant
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- The Project also supports capacity building for flood risk management in the city of Ibadan. It reinforces Oyo State Government’s early warning and response capabilities and leverages existing World Bank projects in Oyo State in support of the IUFMP.
- The Project Development Objective (PDO) is to “improve the capacity of Oyo State to manage flood risk and to respond effectively and promptly to lloodin5 in the city of Ibadan. Specifically, the Bank’s support will finance sonic priority investments related to improving the infrastructure of lbadan City, especially those destroyed by August 26, 2011 floods.
- The Banks support will help Ibadan reduce flood risks, improve waste collection and treatment, while developing and improving the quality of existing in infrastructural assets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The scope of the work for this assignment will primarily be to assist the Environmental Safeguard Specialist (ESS) in the following areas (which include but not limited to):
- Preparation of TORs for a range of Environmental safeguards instruments and consultations
- Coordinating and facilitating the work of consultants engaged to carry out environmental impact studies:
- Ensure site specific environmental and social impact assessment reports are prepared, consulted upon and disclosed in country and in the World Bank
- Prepare internal environmental guidelines for the preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of environmental and social impacts required by various safeguards instruments;
- Review environmental safeguards documents prepared by consultants to ensure compliance with relevant safeguards policies of the Nigerian Government and the World Bank:
- Ensuring that environmental management clauses are inserted into bidding/binding contract documents to ensure compliance;
- Collation of appropriate performance and monitoring indicators to input into the Monitoring and Evaluation (MS/F) Framework of the project;
- Preparing Quarterly/Annual environmental Monitoring and Evaluation reports. Also responsible ICr ensuring the quarterly report of PlU contain a chapter or section on environment and social safeguard compliance of projects.
- Undertake any other additional task or responsibility as indicated in the Terms of Reference and those that may be assigned by the Project Coordinator for the achievement of the overall project objectives
Qualifications/Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
The minimum qualifications and experience of the Environmental Safeguard Consultant are as under:
- Post graduate degree in Environmental Management/Science, Environmental/Civil Engineering, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Economics, Social Protection or other relevant field;
- At least 10 years of work experience in the preparation of Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs)/ Environmental Impact Assessment (EiAs) /Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) / Environmental Audits (EAus) reports for donor funded agencies. In addition proven experience and accomplishment in the following specific areas is recommended:
- Experience in formulating, assessing, and reviewing environmental and social safeguards compliance documents related to the infrastructure sector.
- Knowledge of Nigerian Federal and state legislations related to environment and social issues in infrastructure sector such as Urban Flooding, Urban Transport, Urban Water, Energy etc.
- Experience in carrying out stakeholders consultations and organising environmental and social safeguard training workshops/seminars
- Previous working relationship with the EA department of Nigeria FMEnv will be a distinct advantage
- Proven track record in working effectively within multidisciplinary teams
- Evidence of being able to work effectively in high pressure environment and to tight delivery deadlines
- Literacy in Geographical information systems (GIS) is recommended.
- Candidate must be computer literate and should have excellent spoken and written English language skills.
Duration of the Consultancy and Estimated Budget
The Environmental Safeguard Consultant will be engaged for the duration of 12 months with the possibility of renewal based on satisfactory performance and justified demand.
This shall include the professional fees and other reimbursable expenses. Payment shall be based on 12 months equal instalment duration of consultancy contact.
Application Closing Date
31st August, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to include Curriculum Vitae and Photocopies of credentials (Signed and Sealed) with valid email address and phone numbers which should be addressed and delivered to:
The Project Coordinator,
Project Implementation Unit,
Ibadan Urban Flood Management Project,
2nd Floor, Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs Building,
State Government Secretariat,
Agodi – Ibadan,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.