Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Head, Sales and Marketing Division
Vacancy Notice No: 23P-2017/SG-C&P/EXTERNAL
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Post Number: CF13/P5/940
Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal for 2 additional years
Type of Appointment: Fixed-term Appointment
The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and financial aspects of the Union’s activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union’s activities including conferences, the coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
The Conferences and Publications Department is responsible for ensuring communication between people involved in ITU activities and for the dissemination of ITU products, through its conference services (conference organization and logistics), language services (translation and interpretation in the six official languages, précis-writing, terminology and reference services) and documentation and publications services (text capture and text processing, electronic document management, publication composition, reproduction and distribution of paper and physical electronic products, and sales and marketing).
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the general direction of the Chief, Conferences and Publications Department, the incumbent identifies, anticipates and satisfies customer requirements relating to ITU publications; in addition, he/she acts as the publisher for the Union, planning and managing the pricing, marketing, sales and dissemination of publication products and services. To these ends, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Plans, organizes and directs the activities of the Division, supervising staff, establishing objectives, work plans, standards and targets and evaluating performance; administers Division’s budget; provides budgetary inputs for sales and marketing services and sales projections.
- Develops the annual business plan for ITU publications program proposing innovative pricing schemes and new strategies on marketing and sales (including the biennial sales target for the publications) to promote and expand publication sales.
- Effectively market ITU publications identifying potential new channels of distribution, database marketing, web presence and efficiently utilizing social media to reach the intended audience. Explores new partnership opportunities, licensing of ITU data to external partners. Undertakes and/or supervises regular market research, organizes customer surveys and analyses sales data to determine existing and potential level of demand for ITU publication products and services. Designs and recommends courses of action in product development to meet ITU priorities and objectives for growth.
- Keeps abreast of new ideas and developments in the telecommunication publications environment ensuring customers’ needs are met. In partnership with the author units, develops ideas for creating new or modifies existing publication products and services; recommends their production to the appropriate service-provider units.
- Prepares, negotiates and manages the contracts for ITU external partners, including resellers and distributors, licensees, market-research consultants, publishers etc. Reinforces worldwide promotional activities and dissemination of ITU products in the six ITU official languages, through a network of partners including private sector and the academia. Promotes the ITU publications through advertising campaigns and participation in exhibitions including ITU and non-ITU conferences and meetings.
- Analyses/evaluates the potential impact of policy changes, identifying conflicts and problems and recommending solutions to management. Prepares and/or coordinates the preparation of reports for the ITU Council, Publications Policy Committee (IPPC) and other conferences and meetings as needed.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with representatives of other organizations, reviews their publications sales and marketing strategies and advises his/her supervisor on the competitive stance of ITU in the marketplace for standard publications. Establishes and maintains contacts with partners of other organizations, contractors, representatives of the private sector and ITU Departments and Bureaus to obtain their cooperation for specific projects or to interest them on forming business partnerships.
- Ensures the preparation of the annual inventory and the Profit-and-Loss Statement.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in Marketing, Business Management, Business Administration, Economics, or a related field or degree education in a reputed college of advanced education with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of an advanced university degree in one of the fields above.
- For internal candidates, a first university degree in one of the fields above in combination with fifteen years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university for promotion or rotation purposes.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in sales and marketing preferably in the publishing industry, including at least five at the international level. A Doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for three years of working experience. A proven track record in managing marketing and sales team is required, particularly in the marketing field.
- Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
- A good knowledge of the telecommunication publications would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to negotiate agreements for joint projects and sponsorships and to manage customer relations.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills.
- Good command of PC office tools (e.g. Word, Excel and Outlook) and usage of the web.
- Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
- Annual salary from $84,721 + post adjustment $68,709
- Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment, please refer to http://www.itu.int/en/careers/Pages/Conditions-of-Employment.aspx
Application Closing Date
23rd July, 2017. (Online Application)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Candidates should also forward their applications to the Federal Ministry of Communications via the following address putting into consideration the “Offline Application Closing Date” stated above:
The Secretary General,
International Telecommunication Union (ITU),
Place De Nations,
CH-1211 Geneva 20,
The Honourable Minster,
Federal Ministry of Communications,
2nd Floor, Annex III,
Federal Secretariat Complex,
Attention: Director (Spectrum Management)
Note: The closing dates as stated above are for the two method of applications (Online and Offline) candidates are advised to take note of these dates.