We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Aviation Officer – P3
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP is seeking to fill the position of Aviation Officer P3 level, based in Abuja, Nigeria:
- WFP Aviation is the recognized leader in humanitarian aviation and, through its expertise, provides air services to more than 1,000 different humanitarian organizations in various locations across the world. With more than 80 contracted aircraft in over 15 aviation field operations globally, WFP provides an apt platform for aviation professionals seeking highly rewarding career opportunities.
- A job tenure with us is an exciting adventure which involves working in line management positions in any of our country offices and at the headquarters in Rome.
- Staff have an enviable career path where their knowledge and skills are enhanced in diverse areas in the aviation industry including – but not limited to – contract management, technical compliance, quality assurance, aviation safety, air operations management, aviation security and human resource management.
- We welcome you to be part of this exhilarating journey to facilitate humanitarian assistance to the world’s vulnerable populations.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Plan and coordinate all activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
- Develop and apply appropriate operational risk management process, including corrective actions, to ensure the safety of WFP staff and partners.
- Negotiate and coordinate logistics and administrative support for aviation services in the area of assignment e.g. continuous fuel supply, food and accommodation services, preparation of contracts and supplier payments.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimise use of available funds.
- Plan, organise and supervise the work of more junior staff to ensure that tasks are accomplished in a manner consistent with organisational requirements.
- Collaborate with internal counterparts and external partners to align aviation activities with wider UN and WFP programmes and activities to ensure a coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Review and/or prepare accurate and timely reports to support a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Deliver training to WFP staff and partners to promote safe use of aviation services.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
- Other duties as required.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Language: Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages). Please note that for Congo and Chad duty stations an intermediate proficiency level in French is required.
- Education: Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License
- Experience: At least 5 years of professional experience in Aviation or related fields
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
- Experience in commercial aviation with a specific focus in humanitarian air operations or food aid.
- Experience liaising with country authorities to facilitate air operations.
- Experience establishing methodologies for risk analysis and problem resolution.
- Experience working in a humanitarian emergency situation
- Experience supervising professional staff and reviewing reports produced by staff for accuracy and compliance with quality standards.
Terms and Conditions
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme.
- He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
Application Closing Date
9th July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: You may be considered for other locations for this role.