The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Job family: Logistics
Job category: Programme Officer (Group V)
Line manager: Programme Officer, Maiduguri
Back-up: N/A Abuja
Supervision exercised: None
- The job holder drives the office vehicle for transporting authorised personnel and delivery/collection of mail, documents and other items for the ECHO office.
- Drives ECHO vehicles upon request and according to the information contained in the logistics board;
- Provides reliable and safe driving services by driving office vehicles for the transport of ECHO staff, EU officials and visitors
- Meets EU officials and visitors at the airport and provides support with visa and customs formalities arrangement when required;
- Loads / unloads vehicle and ensures security of goods while in the vehicle;
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for and supervision of major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, check list, fuel form office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Checks the weekly mission’s schedule of the vehicle, anticipates needs and reports any changes in vehicle use plan;
- Ensures all preparations for field missions (vehicle, equipment, routes, contacts, etc..), under the supervision of the line manager;
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident;
- Report immediately any accident or incident, even minor, to the HoO and RLC if applicable;
Specific Tasks for the Driver
- Maintains all records related to the use of ECHO vehicles such as Vehicle Daily Log and Vehicle History Record, and regularly submits them to relevant administration staff;
- Fleet management – Follows-up the maintenance and insurance of the vehicles.
- Registers, distributes and archives all the incoming and outgoing mail;
- Gets and delivers mail where needed
- General Administration Support
- Assists office staff in filing, photocopying when required;
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor;
- Translating and interpreting, as appropriate.
Specific Tasks for the Driver:
- Assists in the training, briefing and welcoming of newly recruited personnel;
Office Specific Responsibilities/Tasks
- Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
- See list of competencies for this job category in annex
- The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex.
- Secondary education or equivalent. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience driving 4wheel drives, with a safe driving record;
- Specific driving experience in the country and sub-region;
- Basic knowledge of protocol rules and procedures;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Knowledge of communication equipment such radio, GPS is an advantage
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
- Basic computer literacy.
- Fluency in English (verbal).
- Excellent knowledge of Hausa. A good command of Kanuri is an asset
- The ECHO office in Abuja, Nigeria, requires a driver who will be based in Maiduguri with fluequent travel to other cities of the northern Nigeria states.
The candidate must:
- Have a secondary education certificate or equivalent
- Possess a valid driver’s licence
- Demonstrate 5 years of relevant experience driving 4WDs with a safe driving record
- Possess good communication skills and demonstrate ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrate basic computer literacy
- Be fluent in English (oral and written) plus excellent knowledge of Hausa. Good knowledge of Kanuri is an asset.
As a part of a small but dynamic team, the driver will carry out activities under the guidance from the Programme Officer such as:
- Drive ECHO vehicles upon request according to ECHO vehicle guidelines.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle so thai the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times.
- Maintain all records related to the use of ECHO vehicles such as Vehicle Daily Log and Vehicle History Record, and regularly submit them to relevant administration staff.
- Support general office administration.
Application Closing Date
2nd June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Cover letter, a detailed CV, Academic and Employment Certificates to mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org The vacancy reference must be clearly indicated in the subject line.
- The position is open to all nationals of Nigeria and other residents holding a valid working permit or able to obtain such working permit before the foreseen recruitment date.
- Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 30th June, 2017 should consider that they have not been selected.
- Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.