The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Disaster Management Delegate
Vacancy No: IFRC01599
Duration: 07 Months
Category of Staff: Delegate
Grade: To be determined
Reporting to the FACT Team Leader/OPS Manager, the Disaster Management Delegate will:
- Provide technical oversight and guidance for the DM programme planned for the operation
- Provide the Red Cross Movement Toolkit and processes approved by the movement.
- Manage the IFRC DM programme, implemented in partnership with the ICRC into the operational areas.
- Ensure that the DM programme activities are implemented within the established budget and timeframes and that Federation policies, procedures and directions are followed.
- Explore, identify, design, implement, monitor and report other Relief activities as possible alternatives to the DM program
- Complement existing Nigeria RC National Society’s capacities to design and lead the DM Relief component of the operation
- Provide extensive input and technical support to programme design and planning and coordinate effectively with other technical sectors
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Disaster Management Delegate will:
- Support, the National Society in the development of the operation response plans, contingency plans, standard operating procedures, emergency assessment systems and procedures, logistics procedures and pre-positioning of relief supplies under the supervision of the Head of Nigeria Operations and in collaboration with the Logistics Delegate;
- Ensure professional logistics support is given to the IFRC’s DM programme and synergy with other programmes developed for the Nigeria operations;
- Ensure processes of relevant assessments, in collaboration with the NS, the Ops Manager and the Head of Nigeria Operations, developing terms of reference, mobilising deployment of resources and reviewing reports.
- Ensure accurate and timely reports in collaboration with the PMER and RM Delegate for the Country Cluster Office, the Nigeria Operation, the Region DMU, the donors according to approved guidelines;
- Assist in preparation of budgets for DM programmes of the operation and monitor expenditure.
- Ensure DM response activities are planned and implemented according to the operation’s priorities.
- Assist the National Society in the development of disaster response training (CDRT, NDRT, RDRT) and capacity building needs.
- Ensure that community resilience programming is managed and implemented in accordance with IFRC strategic programme framework, and agreed standards including Red Cross Red Crescent Code of Conduct, Sphere Standards and Humanitarian Accountability Partnership.
- Collect documents and reports relevant for the DM objectives of the Country Cluster Office and the Nigeria operations for dissemination and documentation.
- Monitor emerging disasters for rapid and accurate information sharing and activation of disaster response mechanisms (DMIS) in close collaboration with the Head of Nigerian operations.
- Represent the Head of Nigerian operations or IFRC in key country technical forums such as sector and technical working groups. Liaise with international humanitarian agencies and organisations when appropriate and participate in Inter Agency coordination and other NGO meetings, task forces on disaster management where appropriate and beyond the formal coordination meetings.
- In coordination with the Nigerian RC (DM, CASH, and livelihoods programme counterparts) and the IFRC’s operational team, review the relevant plan of action and budgets.
- Provide support to ensure the efficient and effective implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of DM activities supported by IFRC’s operation in Nigeria.
- Promote integration of DM with other programmes (Relief, Health, WASH, Livelihoods, etc.), including projects which can benefit from DM related objectives.
- In coordination with, the IFRC operation’s team (in particular in collaboration with the PMER/RM/Partners relationship Delegate) and the Head of Nigeria operations, provide guidance to the NS on the establishment of project baselines and basic monitoring systems.
- Establish and maintain a matrix mapping of programmes and activities in the domain of DM/Relief and provide guidance to the NS on maintaining and reporting national level data:
- Provide periodic, high quality (narrative and financial) progress reports to IFRC management and other stakeholders.
- Ensure the Nigeria RC NS’s involvement in all aspects of the DM assessment process through the inclusion of counterparts to all team members and regular feedback to the National Society’s Leadership.
- Ensure that the existing Nigeria RC’s capacities and experience, in DM and relief programming are utilised and strengthened.
- Provide support to capacity building needs of the Nigerian RC National Society in all the operation related aspects with a focus on DM/relief activities in facilitating training and awareness raising for NS governance, management staff and volunteers on DM/relief and also in adapting existing IFRC materials to the Nigerian context.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing, producing documentation for case studies and lessons learned.
- Support access to reference materials, promoting on-line training resources, co-facilitating technical trainings and delivering technical presentations during training events and other meetings.
- Relevant university education in DM or a professional qualification in DM/relief/recovery operation management – Required
- Basic Delegates Training Course, WORC, IMPACT or equivalent knowledge – Preferred
- At least 5 years of experience in developing and managing DM programmes and in relief distribution including personnel, budget and financial management to ensure compliance – Required
- Proven field working experience in complex emergencies or similar contexts – Required
- Experience/Understanding in cash/voucher approaches to relief and recovery – Required
- Experience in reporting and proposal writing – Required
- Experience in Donor/partners relationship management – Required
- Experience working for a humanitarian aid organization in a developing country – Required
- Experience of working for Red Cross/Red Crescent – Preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Languages:
- Self-supporting in computers – Required
- Ability to work under stressful conditions, meet deadlines and travel extensively to support field operations or training – Required
- Strong skills and knowledge in DRM Law – Required
- Good knowledge of disaster management and humanitarian assistance concepts and debates, as well as mechanisms, tools and guidelines for programming and coordination at different levels – Required
- Good Analytical thinking skills – Required
- Good communication, interpersonal skills with developing training, facilitation and presentation skills and with also the ability to coach, mentor and influence people – Required
- Good Knowledge of the region and capacity to practice political and cultural sensitivity – Required
- Fluent in written and spoken English – Required
Competencies and values:
- National Society relations
- Strategic orientation – Communication – Teamwork
- Managing performance
- Professionalism – Integrity – Diversity
- Results focus and accountability
Application Closing Date
26th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online