Care International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We works in 94 countries around the world to support over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The Borno State Program Manager will be based in Maiduguri town and will report directly to the Emergency Team Leader (ETL).
- The position is responsible for providing leadership, management and operational guidance to the program teams at the field level.
- Specifically, s/he oversees the management of programs and budgets and coordination between with program support functions as well as with other different field teams and with local partners who work in the same geographical areas.
- The position will ensure best utilization of resources through implementation of efficient and effective program management and compliance systems and provision of timely support and guidance to CARE’s program staff at the field level.
- In addition, this position will be responsible for ensuring program quality and effective program management, including coherence of programming and implementation of CARE’s program principles within the specific program locations; oversight of field operations; representation and liaison with local authorities, partners and communities at the field level.
- Also the role will ensure proper implementation of CARE’s programming principles, accountability systems, risk management and conflict sensitive programming at the field level.
- Ensure effective program quality, accountability, planning, implementation and management at the field level.
- Provide overall leadership and management for CARE programs at the field level, in close cooperation with other CO program support teams. Specifically, review, sign off on and monitor program implementation plans, budgets, quality and monitoring systems.
- Ensure that program interventions and implementation plans are in accordance with CARE’s strategic priorities and in compliance with agreements and donors’ proposals/contracts.
- Review and monitor regularly the projects’ burn rates and take necessary actions to address any implementation/spending constraints.
- Prepare the donors’ project reports and ensure that they adhere to the spending plans, quality standards, reporting requirements and timelines.
- In coordination with the Emergency Team Leader (ETL), ensure proper documentation through an established and coherent monitoring and evaluation system, maintain a database of key leanings and build up an evidence-base of quality approaches.
- Ensure CARE’s programming principles and accountability framework are fully understood and implemented by CARE’s and partners’ staff, for quality programming and improved accountability to communities, partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- In coordination with the program team at the head office, support CARE’s and partners’ staff on developing new program initiatives and support writing concept notes and proposals.
- Ensure compliance with CARE’s and donors’ rules, regulations policies and procedures, specially in areas of finance management, procurement and logistics and procurement and safety and security.
- Ensure efficient and effective management and utilization of project resources through regular reviews, monitoring and application of finance and administration systems and procedures and timely actions to enable and facilitate program operations/implementation.
- Ensure compliance to CARE’s financial, administrative and procurement policies, systems and procedures. Also ensure proper management of CARE’s assets at the field level.
- Ensure field level donor funded projects are managed in compliance with CI, donors’ policies and procedures and guidance of government counterparts.
- In coordination with the Finance Manager and supervisor, review projects’ financial reports for accuracy, adequate burn rates and consistency with donors’ budgets.
- Review and provide advice to relevant staff, including project and partners’ staff, on sub-granting agreement development and management in relation to deliverables, costing and timelines.
- In coordination with the Human Resources Officer (HRO), ensure complete understanding of and compliance with HR policies and procedures at the field level.
- Management of Safety and Security and conflict sensitivity at the field level.
- Liaison, representation and communications at the field level.
- Under guidance of the ETL, establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders and represent CARE in the different fora with relevant government and local authorities, NGOs, UN agencies, local partners and community leaders at the field level.
- A Minimum of Post-graduate degree in Development Studies, Social/Political Sciences, Business Administration and or in a Humanitarian related field.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated 5-7 years’ experience with multi-sectoral development and humanitarian programming with an international NGO or UN agency.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support and train program staffs and is also able to work in a changeable situation in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills including the ability to build and manage complex and diverse stakeholder relationships and develop harmonious teams in a cross cultural context.
- Ability to operate effectively under difficult circumstances including stress, security risks and not easy living conditions.
- Experience in capacity building and staff development.
- 5-7 years of proven program management experience and management of teams and budgets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and local languages.
- Ability to produce high quality work and balance competing priorities within demanding timeframes.
- Excellent understanding of international humanitarian principles and standards, including conflict and gender sensitive programming methodologies.
- Experience in complex decision making and leading a multi-disciplinary, diverse teams under difficult circumstances.
- Strong technical leadership and liaison skills.
Application Closing Date
24th May, 2017.
- Indicate clearly in the subject line the position you are applying for (in Caps)
- Save your CV with your name before attaching it.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted