Care International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We works in 94 countries around the world to support over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy and Communication Manager
- The primary function of the Advocacy & Communications Manager will be to support CARE’s humanitarian response by coordinating advocacy actions and policy/media related communications within the organization, designing and implementing the advocacy and communication strategy under the guidance of the Country Director, and producing products for advocacy, media and external relations purposes.
- The Advocacy & Communications Manager will also represent CARE and contribute to inter-agency advocacy and communication activities and capacity building, in line with CARE’s commitment to transparency, accountability and humanitarian principles, including provision of information about CARE’s advocacy activities to all stakeholders as advised by the Country Director.
- The suitable candidate should have strong leadership, analysis and communication skills, be able to represent CARE effectively and drive its advocacy objectives among relevant stakeholders.
- S/he will have strong understanding of operating context, humanitarian standards and principles and be passionate of the CARE’s vision and mission.
- S/he will report to the Country Director and will work closely with, and be supported by the program team and advocacy and communication advisers from CARE USA headquarter and CARE International.
- Based on CARE Nigeria and LCB Sub-Regional Emergency Response Strategies and CARE International Humanitarian Strategy, develop advocacy and communications materials that protect the rights of the people we serve, focusing on women and girls and bringing positive change to their lives.
- With the support of the Country Director, SMT and advocacy and communication advisors from CARE USA and CI, develop CO Advocacy and communication Strategies, reflecting evolution and realities of the local context and in line with the regional efforts.
- Provide CARE USA and CARE International with information products in support of the advocacy and communication strategies.
- Ensure representation of CARE Nigeria at policy/advocacy forums, including coordinating with other INGOs on the development of advocacy messages/materials aimed at producing a more effective response to key issues faced in Nigeria, including food security/nutrition, protection/GBV, humanitarian access, peace-building, and humanitarian architecture and response in-country.
- Participate in the development of project proposals to ensure that potential advocacy issues are identified and included in program design and implementation approaches.
- Gather information and develop policy positions and briefing papers for public and internal use, strengthening evidence-based advocacy and contributing to organizational learning.
- Analysis of filed information and using them to inform key stakeholders on evolving humanitarian situation in NE Nigeria.
- Using data and information generated to develop key messages, positions and talking points to guide discussions on the humanitarian situation affecting the people in Nigeria.
- With support of the program team, design and develop an annual report of CARE Nigeria activities and program around the country.
- Coordinate efforts to increase CARE Nigeria visibility and online presence through a Website, pamphlets, Facebook, Twitter and other relevant social media.
- Prepare and disseminate press releases, updates, photos features or human-interest stories – primarily for distribution externally (e.g. the media or other agencies, for CI members’ communications). This activity will include visits to CARE’s field offices to conduct interviews, gather observations and take photographs and record videos.
- Serve as focal point on all media matters and respond to, prioritize and co-ordinate media and CI requests and support the Country Director and SMT in all internal and external communications activities. This will include development of articles; columns, and materials for use with stakeholders
- Ensure effective and timely advocacy coordination across CI, in collaboration with the CARE USA and CI Secretariat, CIMPs, and regional advocacy focal points, through regular advocacy calls, updated messaging, and joint strategic planning;
- Contributing to program quality efforts, by the capacity of local staff on advocacy and communications through sustained communication and sharing of CARE policies and standards, and integrating advocacy objectives within the operational and programmatic objectives;
- Forster partnerships with local partners on humanitarian advocacy, strengthening collaboration with women rights networks and CBOs and continuously update staff and partners on evolving advocacy issues to enhance conceptual clarity and awareness of CARE and others’ best practices in policy and advocacy programming.
- Masters degree (or BA plus equivalent experience) in relevant disciplines i.e. Political Economy Sciences, Law, Macro-economy, International Relations and other related Developmental Studies
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience providing strategic advocacy and communication leadership; with focus on Policy analysis; research and advocacy; institutional capacity building for civil society and governance
- Professional training in advocacy, rights-based programming, governance and civil society strengthening
- Strong skills and experience handling complex advocacy and communication issues/messages.
- Demonstrable understanding of, and personal commitment to, humanitarian ethics and common principles
- Experience and skills in organizational change processes
- Strong skills in Negotiation and communication skills and experience as a spokesperson
- In depth knowledge of the Nigeria operating context and NGO experience and exposure to working with international partners and high-level stakeholders.
- Analysis skills; policy advocacy; institutional mapping and assessments;
- Proficiency in oral and written English;
- Experience in community-level communications, feedback or awareness campaigns;
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, photo editing software etc.);
- Facilitation of training workshops; writing skills (for report and strategy documents);
- Experience in gender/protection issues;
Application Closing Date
24th May, 2017.
- Indicate clearly in the subject line the position you are applying for (in Caps)
- Save your CV with your name before attaching it.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted