African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Micro Small and Medium Enterprise Finance Investment Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50091788
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the VP will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- The Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department works closely with the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department and the Regional Directorates to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025.
- The core mandate of Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department is to develop the strategy of the Bank related to agricultural and rural finance and rural development, execute non-sovereign operations for the transformation of value chains, represent the Bank with external stakeholders, provide sector expertise to the regions by gathering experts who can be consulted by operations and closing the financing gap for private sector-led development of agricultural value chains. The Department is to mobilize and deploy the required expertise; and, provide support the design and implementation of agricultural finance and rural development operations for key commodity value chains. The department is structured into two Divisions: (i) Agriculture and Rural Finance Division; and (ii) Rural Infrastructure Development Division.
- The Agriculture and Rural Finance Division will be responsible for working with private sector to transform value chains, identifying opportunities for long-term investments to address food security and boost economic growth in Africa. The division has the following deliverables:
- Non-Sovereign Operations targeting Private Sector Companies, Investment and Impact Funds.
- High-Quality and Innovative Debt and Equity Investments for Private sector development for Value Chain Development and Transformation.
- Practical Implementation Arrangements with Key Implementing Partners, specifically private sector companies and equity funds.
- Knowledge Management of Agriculture / Rural Finance /Best Practices.
- Enabling Environment and Alliances with Key Stakeholders.
- Monitoring of Performance and Recommendations for Corrective Actions.
The purpose of the job of the Principal Micro Small Medium Enterprise Finance Investment Expert of the Agriculture and Rural Finance Division is to be focused on development and upgrading of 18 key priority value chains articulated in the Feed Africa Strategy in targeted Agro Ecological Zones :
- Identify Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise’s investment opportunities within key value chains.
- Invest in strategic private sector clients, financial institutions and commercial banks, private equity funds, investment and impact funds to finance Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise’s along the 18 key priority agricultural value chains.
- Develop facilities to support Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise’s in the agriculture space.
- Create a pipeline and manage a strong portfolio of existing and potential Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise’s, investors along key value chains and achieve sustainable development impact.
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close debt and equity transactions; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in all transactions.
- Lead support and expertise to regional directorates for non-sovereign operations with solutions to reach smallholder farmers, productive enterprises (particularly women and youth).
- Monitor and report on the implementation of the financial instruments and their contribution to Feed Africa and action plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.) Technical oversight:
- Provide technical oversight to develop innovative vehicles for dedicated Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprises financing, and provide technical assistance to investment funds and other non-banking financial institutions that offer equity and working capital finance to agricultural value chains;
- Execute debt and equity investments in Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise and investment / impact and investment funds / equity funds in Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise (agricultural finance and innovative financing).
- Build and maintain a strong pipeline of potential in Agricultural Micro Small Medium Enterprise to initiate new debt and equity investments, follow up on new business opportunities, and liaise extensively with potential clients on the African continent and beyond.
- Solve challenges during negotiations and transaction structuring with potential investee companies as well as due diligence.
- Support existing portfolio investments including strategic and value-add activities with portfolio company management and co-investors.
- Partners with other international financial institutions, investors, including venture capital, private equity firms and strategic investors with a particular focus on public private partnerships (at the country and continent level) to engage stakeholders in alignment of sustainable socio-economic development goals;
- Enhance project implementation quality, timeliness and integrity through developing and implementing controls that minimize slippages.
- Develop and implement performance monitoring and evaluation systems and reporting activities (including Key Performance Indicators) to enable transparent assessment of agriculture value chain financing outcomes and impacts, both for internal and external circulation.
2.) People management:
- Guide a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high quality services that support the business.
- Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole.
- Assess the training needs of staff in the Regional Directorates and Country Offices, monitor and evaluate their performance, and recommend personnel actions to the Division Manager.
- Be a collaborative member of the Divisional Team, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions.
- Manage the efficient use of the financial and human resources. On the technical front the work requires analytical and strategic skills, as well as personal knowledge and practical experience in the main areas of Bank intervention.
- Ensure high-quality output within available resources, by making the best use of its human, financial and technological assets, and by monitoring and enforcing efficiency targets;
- Supervise complex project identification, preparation and appraisal for Bank Group financing and verify quality of the projects;
4.) Staff engagement:
- Leading People: Serve as a role model, leading by example, builds alignment and commitment. Is courageous in challenging others to move the Bank forward;
- Promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across teams and across organizational units;
- Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender.
5.) Corporate Communication:
- Ensure effective communication between the Management and staff of the Bank, the authorities of member countries, officials from other organizations;
- Monitor best practice in the field and, as appropriate, liaise with counterparts in other organization.
- Performs other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Finance or closely related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years relevant professional experience in the area of investment banking, consulting or private equity/venture capital, and 3 years working in this area preferably in an international bilateral/multilateral institution.
- Sound experience with debt and/or equity investments in developing markets, venture investing and emerging countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures;
- Proven leadership in matters relating to negotiating and structuring debt and equity transactions, technical review of reports and consultation with other financiers, among others.
- Knowledge of Africa and the rural development needs, opportunities, development challenges and possible solutions.
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learnt and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions.
- Acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through agricultural investments in Africa.
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external.
- Knowledgeable in the execution and structuring of debt and equity investments in the assigned sector projects and programs.
- Networking ability required to build successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results. Prudence and skill in identification of such relationships and partners based on meeting the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable
Application Closing Date
27th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online