African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Urban Mobility Specialist
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50054426
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department
- The role of the Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development Department is to foster advancement of infrastructure and cities in Africa by detailed development of appropriate interventions which the Bank might finance on a regional, national or a continent-wide basis.
- The Specialist is responsible for Urban Mobility aspects of the Transport and logistics sector in support of the Bank’s vision.
The purpose of the position as follows:
- To act as the Bank’s principal expert on Urban Mobility involving Bus Rapid Transit System , Rail Rapid ransit system, Light Rail Transit system and Non-Motorized Transit system in urban areas.
- To strengthen and maintain the Bank’s understanding of the Urban Mobility issues and their roles in the development of the continent.
- Conduct policy dialogue with the government in improving Urban Mobility policy, strategy and implementation in transport infrastructure and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, the Chief will perform the following duties:
Urban Mobility Strategy:
- Contribute to the Transport Policy of the Bank in consultation with internal stakeholders and taking account of long-term trends in Transport & Logistics and the development of the continent.
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of the policy through communication and advise to all relevant stakeholders in the Bank, particularly operations functions, and define a monitoring framework.
- Identify and develop any necessary policies to underpin the transport strategy.
- Consult as necessary with external partners and Regional and non-Regional Member Countries on the form and efficacy of the policy and planning.
Urban Mobility Knowledge:
- Lead Analytical and Advisory Activities on Urban Mobility, and conduct Economic and Sector Work to inform and underpin the downstream intervention of the Bank in project and program design in the transport sector.
- Manage a team to develop and maintain the Bank’s expertise on Urban Mobility to support Regional Integration initiatives the Bank, the regional economic communities and the continent as a whole.
- Devise the Bank’s contribution to key Urban Mobility themes.
- Coordinate and work alongside key partners, such as other Multilateral Development Banks and the World Economic Forum to design transport sector -based programs and solutions.
- Publish major studies and reports on Urban Mobility issues for development, taking into account the comparative advantage that the Bank can bring to bear to any specific subject or theme. Convene associated workshops and media events to solidify the learning across Africa.
- Develop and maintain, in collaboration with partners, a detailed database of statistics and Urban Mobility options and Mass Transit Authorities to support sustainability of transport infrastructure and services.
Urban Mobility Advice:
- Act as a focal point for advice to Regional Member Countries on transport corridor development and management of Urban Mobility issues.
- Represent the Bank at global, regional and national conferences and workshops on some Urban Mobility issues.
- Provide cutting edge advice on transport sector investments to foster public and private partnerships and the use of all the Bank’s financing instruments.
- Provide direct support to complex Transport infrastructure and Services operations staff in the field.
- Advise operational staff on Transport infrastructure and Services trends and the consequences they have for future project development and design.
- Identify appropriate relevant training for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage a team of consultants on transport sector issues to meet demanding Key Performance Indicators.
- Manage the administrative budget for the division.
- Mobilize resources from donors to support the work of the division.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in, Urban Mass Transit Planning, Transport Engineering, Transport Economics, Transport Policy Public Policy, or related discipline.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in Multi-lateral Financial Institutions, with proven experience in developing countries.
- Ideally, will have public and/or private sector experience in Transport
- sector with specialization in a) Urban Mobility policy and strategy aspects, b) Mass Transit planning/BRT/LRT and NMT.
- Planning and Organizing: Establishes a systematic course of action for self and others in order to accomplish objectives; determines priorities and allocates resources effectively.
- Client orientation: Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Highly developed technical and strategic knowledge of Urban Mobility.
- Good knowledge of financing instruments and options.
- An ability to make sense of complexity and to express this simply both in writing and
- Effective consultation and advisory skills to ensure relevancy.
- Ability to lead a team of specialists and to take forward projects, often in
- collaboration with other partners.
- Attention to detail to create quality output and to set standards for the team.
- Mentoring to develop skills within the team and to improve the quality of output and outcomes.
- Budget management.
- Objective setting and staff evaluation.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) and preferably SAP.
Application Closing Date
29th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online