African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief – Total Rewards and Performance Management Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50050490
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, information technology, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Human Resources Management department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the Human Resources Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed human resources work-way, the Human Resources Management department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and human resources delivery; Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice benchmarking; Human Resources Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new Human Resources Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- The Staff Training and Development Division embeds a strategic approach to human resource development and management that results in more effective talent and performance management including strategic sourcing and career development and mobility, leadership development, compensation and reward, policy and compliance.
- The Chief Total Rewards and Performance Management Officer provides strategic and operational leadership in the design, development, implementation, administration, and communication of our Total Rewards programs and Performance Management in the Bank.
- He/she oversees and administers the employees’ monetary and non-monetary rewards and benefits by assessing and understanding employee needs and designing targeted programs that will increase performance, organizational trust and satisfaction.
- The goal is to ensure effective staff engagement and our ability to attract, retain and motivate high quality employees while reducing turnover and enhancing the Bank’s profile as best place to work. He/she manages the Total Rewards & Recognition as well as the Performance Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager – Staff Development and Training, the Chief Total Awards and Performance Management Officer will undertake two (2) key activities: i) Total Reward and Recognition, and ii) Performance Management programs and activities. He/ she will be responsible to:
- Analyse current rewards and recognition programs to ensure they align with the Bank’s business strategy and ensure that rewards programs optimize the ability to attract, motivate and retain top talent.
- Lead the definition and designing of the Bank’s Employee Value Proposition especially in relation to total rewards and recognition elements.
- Analyse the market competitiveness and cost-effectiveness of rewards to ensure they optimize our ability to attract top talent using various methods and techniques to make data-based decisions on direct financial, indirect financial and non-financial compensation and benefits elements.
- Assess employees’ needs by conducting organizational psychology surveys to find out what motivates and engages employees.
- Provide expertise for job analysis and evaluations in liaison with recruitment, workforce planning, job descriptions and evaluation team.
- Participate in salary and labour market surveys to determine prevailing reward practices, rates and benefits. Monitor comparators practices, market conditions, and classification and compensation trends to inform the formulation of baseline standards for the development of the total rewards strategy and policy in the Bank.
- Partner with corporate and business leadership and Human Resources Business Partners to leverage compensation and benefits programs and proposes differentiated pay systems to invest in the segments of workforce that contribute the most value to meet organizational objectives.
- Deploy effective communication strategies and success metrics relating to rewards and performance management in the Bank; Deliver and execute the Bank’s staff retention strategy.
- Conduct ongoing research into emerging trends, issues and best practices and periodic audits to assess relevance and compliance reward practices.
- Execute the Bank’s rewards policy and enhance it towards a Total Reward Model and Pay for Performance practices in the Bank.
- Oversee the development of high level strategic management reports including making recommendations for Management and Board consideration.
- Lead the development and management of Human Resources Information Systems to enhance Human Resources reporting/analytics capabilities on rewards and performance management.
- Act as the lead expert to advise and support the Bank and its management to harness, direct and support teams and individuals to engage in delivering the organisation’s mission and objectives; designing and leading the necessary initiatives to incubate and promote performance culture within the Bank.
- In liaison with Management of the Bank, analyse performance management needs of the Bank and develop relevant long-term programs and strategies for implementation; including the necessary monitoring for Bank-wide standards and supervision of cycles, activities, milestones and communications.
- Assist Human Resources Business Partners in the monitoring and review of staff performance and provide coaching and advice.
- Support the department and Human Resources Business Partners on areas of research, data collection, statistical analysis and performance reporting and Policies and Procedures. This may include the investigation of the causes of poor performance and in developing, and implementing actions for the improvement of performance and delivery.
- Work with teams across the Human Resources Management department including Human Resources Business Partners to manage more complex project on total rewards and performance management and ensure internal capacity building and policy compliance.
- Seek out opportunities for the implementation of bespoke Human Resources interventions that build organisational resilience, capacity and capability of services, evaluating interventions to ensure they meet agreed targets.
- Contribute to the review of existing systems and policies; and develop new policies and program in the areas of rewards and recognition, performance management, coaching and mentoring.
- Develop best practice organisational performance policies and procedures and strategy that supports the implementation of performance management framework model having regard to: (i) Vision;( ii) Resources; (iii) Accountability; (iv) Change management process and education, whilst creating a supporting culture committed to Organisational Performance.
- Ensure that organisational policies, practices and procedures are developed, implemented and maintained ensuring legal compliance in the areas such as: (i) Total Reward (ii) Discrimination and Harassment; (iii) Performance Management; (iii) Organisational Performance Management Framework; (iv) Total Reward Administration (v) Learning and Development; (vi) Human Resource Management.
- Supervise, mentor and/or coach staff and colleagues to build knowledge and capacity, ensuring a consistent standard of service delivery and strengthen pay for performance culture within the Human Resources Management department and Bank wide.
- Plan and budget for all activities within the annual budgets cycle ensuring that Performance Management and Total Rewards activities are implemented within the agreed budgets.
- Oversee the management of vendor relationships, contracts and bid negotiation.
- Generate annual reports relevant to the Total Rewards & Performance management activities of the Bank and recommend relevant improvements.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Human Resources Management, Organisational Development, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Compensation, Public Sector Management, Finance, Accounting, Statistics or related discipline; Additional professional qualification/certification in Human Resources Management, Rewards management or in performance management.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience as a Human Resources Professional (specialist or generalist) including the following specific areas: Performance Management, Compensation and Benefits, Policy and Programme, Human Resources Business Partnerships or in any other related areas.
- Strong and demonstrated professional experience in Human Resources Management, compensation and benefits including Total Reward and performance management or in any related domains.
- Proven ability and experience leading his/her direct reports including performance supervision, development and resource management.
- Proven experience in applying policy and a balanced approach to risk and resolving issues promptly.
- Significant experience in the use and application of information & communication systems and software.
- Substantial experience of resource management and project management.
- Problem-solving skills; be well organized, and have advanced ability to plan, prioritize and deliver in a pressured work environment: ability to make things happen.
- Ability to speak with confidence and conviction, build and present a rational case to win support for ideas.
- Ability to develop effective relationships inside and outside the institution, promote collaboration and deal constructively with conflict and disagreement.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide consultancy to different stakeholders.
- Proven capacity to innovate, and promote change initiatives in Human Resources Management policies in large organizations.
- Expertise, knowledge and an understanding of principles, practices, and procedures relating to compensation and benefits and performance management.
- Strong generalist Human Resources experience and in-depth understanding of Human Resources processes and policies with fully operational depth in at least three of the under-listed skill areas (i) Compensation and benefits including Total Rewards (ii) Performance Management & Change Management (iii) Policies design (v) Learning & Development, (vi) Human Resources Information system.
- Strong financial skills and mathematical aptitude.
- Sound analytical skills – ability to build and analyze Human Resources data accurately including Human Resources approved key performances indicators.
- Ability to work in a client-centric, business partnering environment.
- Sound understanding of the business and operational needs with proven capacity to innovate, and promote change initiatives in corporate human resource policies and services in large organizations;
- Comprehensive applied knowledge of the fundamentals of employment relationships, legislation and organizational development.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and creativity in identifying options and risks in order to make the right decisions around issues that have the potential to have a significantly adverse effect on the organization both in financial and employee relations terms.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in French or English, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications. Experience of SAP HR, Project Management software and Access (Database) is advantageous.
Application Closing Date
8th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online