Action Against Hunger | ACF-International works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Officer
Location: Borno, Maiduguri
- Knowledge and understanding of Action Against Hunger mandate, humanitarian principles and current programs.
- With the program manager, develop coherent messages and send to the community about the missions’ mandate, program objectives and approach. Build trust between the mission and the community.
- Conduct community mobilization sessions for public health.
- Contact key leaders, community groups and community members and identify health needs in each community.
- Develop messages to the community members and other target groups according to various needs (mothers, fathers, youth, children etc.)
- Support the implementation of community approach through regular contact and exchange with community, gather information on the community organization and identify key persons for the building of case-finding and referral network, communication channels for sensitization.
- Under the responsibility of the Nutrition Deputy Program Manager and in cooperation with health facility staff, Community health mobilizers and village leaders, identify the community volunteers to be trained for acute malnutrition case identification and referral as well as public health promotion activities.
- Ensure gender balance in community volunteers as well as a mix of different specialties within the community (teachers, mothers etc.)
- Participate in the design and implementation of training workshops for the community volunteers.
- Conduct regular the supervision of volunteers in the field and evaluate the adherence of the trained volunteers to the correct nutritional screening, referral of cases and dissemination of public health promotion topics. This includes not only supervision but mentoring/coaching/on the job trainings.
- Ensure community sensitization on relevant topic related to the trainings.
- Continuous on the job training of community volunteers in public health related topics.
- Implement community health groups (CHGs) within the catchment population for each health facility targeted by CMAM.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Nutrition PM, plan the activities to be carried out by ACF’s community health team.
- Ensure close collaboration with the nutrition officers to ensure the community activities are linked to the capacity building activities at the health facility level.
- Provide timely coherent analysis of the community situation in relation to health situation to the Deputy Nutrition Program Manager.
- Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing, Pharmacy/or Medical Doctor with Primary health care Major or Nursing degree with solid experience in Management of childhood illness and CMAM.
- 1 year experience working in a Stabilization centre, IMNCI and CMAM approach.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to villages and stay at the field
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions like long distance walking to screening sites
- Capacity to supervise and coach adult learners
- Ability to work in an environment where there are physical discomforts associated with change in weather or discomforts associated with noise, dust or dirt
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger mission, values and policy.
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, flexible and culturally sensitive.
- Excellent team, budget and project management and representation competencies.
- Proficiency with local languages (Kanuri, Fulani).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience working for INGOs an asset, particularly health related INGOs
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in English.
- Previous experience with AAH.
Application Closing Date
8th May, 2017
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org To be considered, applications must include a CV and letter of interest, and indicate the full position title and location in the email subject line, or on the application envelope. For example, “Health Officer-Borno”.
- Also note that applications received without these specifications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
- Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- Qualified women and men are encouraged to apply.