GRID Consulting – Our client, the Programme Coordination and Monitoring Unit (PCMU), an establishment of Yobe State Government, supported by World Bank, Multi Sector Crisis Recovery Project. It has the mandate to oversee implementation of World Bank and other donor funded multi-sectoral Crisis Recovery Projects in the state.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Safeguards Specialist
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assessing the impact of proposed infrastructure rebuilding projects on local communities and the natural environment
- Lead and coordinate the project safeguards team’s efforts by providing advice, building capacity, and advancing the development of safeguards policies
- Identify, assess, and monitor overall capacity building needs on environmental safeguards within the project
- Strengthening institutional capacity, improving environmental quality and the sustainable management of natural resources, and promoting equitable solutions
- Review the effectiveness of Environmental Safeguard policy with local stakeholders (communities and government agencies)
- Identify safeguard risks and impacts in recovery operations, programs and strategies, and provide recommendations on approaches to mitigation
- Provide technical cooperation designed to assist in the analysis and implementation of environmental measures
- Undertake field visits to ascertain if the grievance redress mechanism established for the project is functioning appropriately and the individual projects are implemented in an environmentally sustainable manner
- Ensure that environmental safeguards issues are incorporated into bid and specification documents for all sub project documents
- Provide recommendations, advice and guidance on measures to enhance the effectiveness of project implementation and achievement of the project development objectives
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Management, Social Science, Environmental/Civil Engineering, or relevant field
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience of which at least 5 years in projects funded by multilateral agencies
- Proven experience in formulating, assessing, and reviewing environmental safeguards compliance documents
- Experience in carrying out stakeholder consultations and organizing environmental safeguards training workshops/seminars
- Experience and ability to work with Geographical Information System (GIS)
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (cover letter & most recent resume) to: firstname.lastname@example.org stating the position applied for as the subject of the mail.
- Any applications without the appropriate job title as email subject will be rejected.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.