The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mechanic – G3
Job ID: (52181)
- This job is found in Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) and Field Offices (FOs). Job holders report to the Logistics Officer responsible for the Workshop activities or the designate. This job require a good physical fit to lift and handle heavy items. It is obligatory to wear protective clothing at work.
- To maintain and repair WFP vehicles, generators or other means of transport or equipment to ensure well-functioning and meeting established deadlines.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Responsible for efficient routine and ad hoc maintenance and repair of WFP vehicles and other means of transport or equipment following manufacturer’s standards and in compliance with established schedules and WFP safety procedures.
- Perform regular checks of vehicles, generators or other means of transport or equipment to assess mechanical conditions and fitness using diagnostic techniques and computerized workshop equipment and make cost-efficient recommendations, to ensure compliance with safety procedures and technical standards.
- Recover and repair broken down means of transport or equipment using appropriate techniques including WFP vehicles broken while on field missions, to minimize the risk of additional damage and accidents to support safe operations.
- Install and maintain sophisticated equipment in WFP vehicles such as VHS, radios, satellite tracking systems, etc., to support enhanced and/or updated communication tools and their efficient functioning.
- Report accurately and timely on the mechanical works carried out including any workmanship failure that may occur during repairs, to enable efficient and informed planning and decision-making.
- Keep in a good order all repair tools and equipment, to support safe, healthy and clean working environment.
- Provide guidance on technical skills to Drivers to build their capacity.
Other Specific Job Requirements
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
4Ps Core Organazational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Functional Capabilities (N/A)
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
- Education: Completion of secondary school education, supplemented by vocational training programme in automotive service technology or relevant mechanical/technical trainings. Driver’s license/certification to operate commercial or light vehicles following local rules and regulations.
- Experience: Three or more years of progressively responsible experience in maintenance and repair of commercial, light vehicle, other means of transport, generators or other equipment.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge and ability to read technical manuals and follow instructions/technical guidance required to maintain and repair means of transport/equipment.
- Willingness to follow and update knowledge of new developments in the field.
- Ability to work with electronic diagnostic equipment, digital manuals and reference materials.
- Ability to identify mechanical/electronic faults and provide efficient repair services.
- Ability to multi-task and meet job requirements.
- Ability to analyze and determine complex damages to the vehicles/generators etc. and communicate repair recommendations clearly.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Language: Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Terms and Conditions
- Selected candidate will be employed on a short-term service contract. WFP offers an attractive compensation package.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Additional Information
- WFP will apply a rigorous and transparent selection process including thorough assessment of technical skills to ensure the best candidates are selected for the job.
- Please ensure that your application contains accurate and complete information on academic qualifications, employment record and language skills.
- WFP will only consider academic credentials and degrees obtained from an accredited educational institution. Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview.
- WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply to become a part of our organization.
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.