The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Access Officer – Roving
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- In the coming months, one of NRC’ main focus will be to provide the displacement affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local host communities including IDP camps in Borno State and displaced affected population in surrounding north – eastern states with adequate WaSH, Food Security and livelihood, Shelter, ICLA, Education amongst other durable solutions. NRC is therefore seeking a Roving Humanitarian Access Officer based in Maiduguri – Nigeria for 2017.
- The Roving Humanitarian Access Officer will report to the Humanitarian Access Coordinator.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Participate on the access strategy implementation and work plan for NRC Nigeria
- Travel to relevant LGAs/areas that NRC currently operating in or planning to operate new programs and facilitate the process
- Update the actor mapping sheet with relevant contacts that influence the NRC operations in the northeast Nigeria
- In close collaboration with Humanitarian Access Coordinator, build a network of key informants from the community, local authorities or gate keepers.
- Contribute in the humanitarian access tracking online sheet and keep records of any access challenges, solutions and lesson learned
- Facilitate access for NRC activities at the field level and camps
- Conduct access assessment in new areas based on programmatic demands
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Contribute to NRC access and program expansion to new areas
- Support Access coordinator and facilitate training all staff based in N.E of Nigeria on humanitarian principles, negotiation and communication
- Work closely with the emergency team to train new recruits on access related in newly accessible areas that NRC expanding too.
- Relevant university degree, or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience within field of expertise in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical expertise and understanding of humanitarian access
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Fluency in Hausa and Kanuri
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- High-level competency in computer skills (Microsoft Office applications)
- Contextual knowledge of north east Nigeria (Borno State) preferred.
- Experience in handling multiple data platforms and sources
- Demonstrated experience in development of communication/information
- Experience from working in information management and analysis in a humanitarian/recovery/security context
- Strong interpersonal skills, including capacities to negotiate with non-government stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Handling insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 8 Months till December 2017 (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Application Closing Date
10th May, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application letter, updated CV and copy of a valid means of National Identification (Passport, Driver’s License, National Identity Card or Voter’s card) to: email@example.com The title of the position you apply for must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
- Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.