The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Access Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- In the coming months, one of NRC’ main focus will be to provide the displacement affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local host communities including IDP camps in Borno State and displaced affected population in surrounding north – eastern states with adequate WaSH, Food Security and livelihood, Shelter, ICLA, Education amongst other durable solutions. NRC is therefore seeking a Humanitarian Access Assistant based in Maiduguri – Nigeria for 2017.
- The Humanitarian Access will report to the Roving Humanitarian Access Officer.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Participate on the Nigeria access strategy implementation
- Travel to relevant LGAs/areas that NRC currently operating in or planning to operate new programs and facilitate the process
- Contribute to NRC access and program expansion to new areas
- Responsible for orientation of new recruits on access related in newly accessible areas that NRC is expanding to in the field.
- Update the actor mapping sheet with relevant contacts that influence the NRC operations in the northeast Nigeria
- In close collaboration with Humanitarian Access, build a network of key informants from the community, local authorities or gate keepers.
- Contribute in the humanitarian access tracking online sheet and keep records of any access challenges, solutions and lesson learned
- Facilitate access for NRC activities at the field level and camps
- Conduct access assessment in new areas based on programmatic demands
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Participate in community information and feedback sessions.
- Support in organizing briefing and exchange meetings, workshops and trainings
- Relevant university degree, or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience.
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience within field of expertise in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Understanding of humanitarian access and HP
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Proficiency in English, Hausa and Kanuri languages
- Contextual knowledge of north east Nigeria (Borno State) preferred.
- Experience in community mobilization and engagement
- Demonstrated experience in development of communication/information products
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Strategic thinking
- Working with people
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Handling insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 8 months till December 31st, 2017 (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Application Closing Date
10th May, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application letter, updated CV and copy of a valid means of National Identification (Passport, Driver’s License, National Identity Card or Voter’s card) to: firstname.lastname@example.org The title of the position you apply for must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail.
- Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.