REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process.
We are recruiting to fill the below position:
Job Title: REACH Research Assistant
Context / Country
- REACH is initializing operations in Nigeria to respond to the ongoing IDP crisis in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa. Activities will contribute to an improved humanitarian emergency response and enhance evidence-based decision making by providing support to operational actors with localized and operational response planning. REACH will provide a complementary support to existing information management (IM) efforts by IOM, OCHA and sectors, focusing on supporting operational actors in given locations.
- The REACH Research Assistant (RA) will be based in a to-be-determined field location and will be primarily responsible for data collection activities in those areas. He/she will travel, as necessary and when security permits, to multiple areas of the country to identify and collect information from Key Informants.
- The RA will be responsible for identifying and reporting on humanitarian conditions in their focus areas (as defined by operational needs and base of assignment) and other areas as necessary. He/she will also be responsible for identifying and reporting emergent displacement trends in their area of focus (and other areas – as necessary).
- The RO will also be responsible mission-related logistics, data analysis and cleaning, focus group discussion facilitation, participatory mapping session facilitation, collection of locational data using GPS devices, leading enumeration teams and any other reasonable tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Chain of Command
Under the authority of:
- In country: ACTED Country Director
- In country: REACH Country Focal Point
- In country: REACH Assessment Officer
- In country: REACH Senior Research Officer
- In country: REACH Research Officer
- Their own activities
- REACH Research Assistants
- Enumerators WORKING RELATIONS
- ACTED Country Director
- REACH Country Coordinator
- REACH GIS/ Assessment/ Database Officers
The REACH RA shall be responsible for:
- Establishment and management of key informant network
- Communication with partner organizations
- Collection of locational data using GPS devices
- Facilitation of participatory mapping sessions
- Data cleaning and entry
- Hiring, training and leading enumeration teams
- Focus group discussion facilitation
- Logistics support
- Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
Managing Key Informant Network:
- The REACH RA will work in collaboration with REACH assessment staff to identify potential Key Informants for AoO, build their informant profiles, and execute month recurring and systematic data collection.
Communication with partner organizations:
- The REACH RA will work in collaboration with REACH assessment staff to communicate findings and coordinate activities with partner organizations operating in the area of focus
Collection of locational data using GPS device:
- The REACH RA will collection locational data, such as the location of new or existing IDP locations, using hand held GPS devices.
Facilitation of participatory mapping sessions:
- The REACH RA will facilitate or co-facilitate participatory mapping sessions to help understand, identify and visualize common displacement routes of IDPs.
Data cleaning, entry and analysis:
- The REACH RA will clean and manage qualitative and spatial data collected by the REACH team and enumerators
Hiring, training and leading enumeration teams:
- The REACH RA will be responsible for hiring enumeration teams, training them on the use of data collection tools (ODK) and methodology, and leading the teams in the field
Focus group discussion facilitation:
- The REACH RA will be responsible for identifying and organizing respondents for focus group discussion, facilitating or co-facilitating the discussion and recording results
- The REACH RA will have custodial responsibility for all REACH assets (computers, GPS devices, smart phones, etc) at their operational base, and will need to work with the REACH team and ACTED Logistics to ensure serviceability of assets and availability of consumables (printer ink, paper, pens, etc…)
Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria:
- The REACH RA may be called upon to work on other REACH programmes in various locations in Nigeria including, but not limited to, remote LGA capitals, as the security situation allows
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner. Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a strong focus on both quantitative and qualitative research methodologies preferred
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience collecting information using hand-held GPS devices
- Experience using ODK, or other mobile data collection technology, for quantitative data collection
- Experience hiring and managing casual laborers
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Knowledge of creating kml/ kmz files in Google Earth
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skill
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP displacement locations
- Fluency written and spoken fluency in English and Kanuri a must; additional fluency in Hausa preferred
- Ability to work independently
Application Closing Date
30th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive CV’s and Cover Letters to: NGA.REACH@gmail.com