The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Officer
Contract length: 7 months with possibility of extension
Level: SB3 (national contract)
Start date: As soon as possible
About the job
- DRC is the process of scaling up and emergency program in Nigeria focusing on responding to the huge humanitarian needs and challenges in the North East of Nigeria. Nigeria’s northeast is currently experiencing a significant humanitarian crisis, which has been the result of the ongoing-armed conflict between Boko Haram, the Nigerian military and the Multi-National Task Force in the north-east.
- The WASH officer’s primary function is to ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the WASH activities being implemented by DRC.Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
General Programming & Operations:
- Carrying out the selection, design and construction of water systems, using ground water or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems.
- To select, design and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with the beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control and drainage.
- To formulate and implement capacity building plans for teams and individuals that I managed which may involve conducting training and mentoring approaches.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Lead the WASH team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises.
Coordination and Representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on WASH issues.
- Represent DRC at WASH meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH and Shelter sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings.
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop the projects’ M&E tools
- Project implementation and reporting
- Ensure management of WASH project grants through budget control.
- Monitor and Evaluate WASH Projects.
- Ensure quality control during implementation of WASH activities in accordance to Sphere and National standards.
- Prepare WASH weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
- Staff management
Supervise WASH Assistants:
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the WASH staff members and community based mechanisms in operational areas as needed.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets for the WASH assistants and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits or as required to ensure WASH tasks are going on as planned and mentoring – through technical back stopping and training of duty bearers.
Logistics / Finance:
- Support the Senior WASH Officer and Manager to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-ups.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
- Contribute to grants management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
- All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 2 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating WASH projects.
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Water Engineering from recognized institution.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
Application Closing Date
10th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letters, indicating and explaining their suitability to the position applied for, and updated CV’s (no longer than four pages) in English and addressed to the Recruitment Manager via: email@example.com The position title must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.