The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Assistant
Contract length: 7 months with possibility of extension
Level: SB4 (national contract)
Start Date: As soon as possible
About the Job
- DRC is the process of scaling up and emergency programme in Nigeria focusing on responding to the huge humanitarian needs and challenges in the North East of Nigeria. Nigeria’s northeast is currently experiencing a significant humanitarian crisis, which has been the result of the ongoing-armed conflict between Boko Haram, the Nigerian military and the Multi-National Task Force in the north-east.
- The WASH Assistant’s primary function is to assist the WASH Officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of WASH activities being implemented by DRC..Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
General Programming & Operations:
- Carrying out of WASH needs assessment for returning refugees and IDPs and using results in designing intervention measures.
- Monitor construction works progress, budgets, costs and schedule in accordance with project plan and taking of appropriate actions.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
Coordination and Representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH.
- Represent DRC at WASH meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH and Shelter sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings.
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding.
- Assist in developing the projects’ M&E tools.
- Assist in project implementation and reporting.
- Prepare WASH weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities as per need.
- All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 1 year experience in implementation and evaluation of WASH projects.
- Knowledge of WASH Approaches.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Water Engineering or Public Health from recognized institution
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context
Application Closing Date
10th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letters, indicating and explaining their suitability to the position applied for, and updated CV’s (no longer than four pages) in English and addressed to the Recruitment Manager via: email@example.com The position title must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.