Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: INGO Forum Program Support Assistant
Program / Department Summary
- The Nigeria International NGO Forum (INGO Forum) is a civil society mechanism comprising of approximately 40 members (confirmed and prospective) and 4 observers active in the humanitarian and development fields in Nigeria.
- The purpose of the Forum is to provide an inclusive and consistent space for INGOs to develop and employ collective strategies and approaches to enhance the overall effectiveness and efficiency of humanitarian and development initiatives throughout Nigeria.
- The INGO Forum exists primarily to serve the needs of its members and to act in their interest for the betterment of serving beneficiaries. The main objectives include information sharing/ communication; coordination; policy development and advocacy; engagement with national civil society; and external representation of the INGO community.
- With 2 current staff (Coordinator and Support Manager) the INGO Forum plans to expand its reach with the goal of improving services to its members and increasing advocacy related to identified key priority issues. As of March 2017, the INGO Forum will be hosted by Mercy Corps in Nigeria’s capital city of Abuja.
General Position Summary
- The INGO Forum Program Assistant will be a motivated learner and a passionate about the improvement of the development/humanitarian situation in Nigeria and for the role of civil society in this context.
- The INGO Program Assistant will provide all required logistics, procurement, administrative and general program support.
- This will also include providing capacity building support and maintenance of all operational systems, as well as supporting the program with the development of relationships with government, NGOs, and private sector partners.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Maintain procurement, financial, and administrative systems which comply with host agency Mercy Corps’ requirements but which are also fit-for-purpose and appropriate for INGO Forum.
- Provide ongoing support in maintaining these systems, problem-solving, and functioning as a focal point for communications with INGO Forum operations, human resources and finance team.
- Facilitate and organize all required meetings with internal departments as well as external contacts to communicate accurate and up-to-date information as and when required
- Assist in the Facilitation of INGO Forum Technical Working Groups (including Logistics, Human Resources, Advocacy and Finance) and follow up regularly.
- Assist in organizing all logistics for trainings, workshops, events and other INGO Forum activities including flight bookings and procuring office supplies.
- Assist in maintaining the INGO Forum calendars (internal and external).
- Take meeting minutes and circulate to identify recipient lists as and when required.
- Assist in development of TORs and contracts for events and consultancies.
- Assist the INGO Forum Manager in taking newly arrived INGOs through registration and other start-up processes.
- Leverage INGO relationships to identify Nigerian partners – government institutions, NGOs, vocational training/skills centers, or other replicators
- Provide backstopping support as required
- Provide required support to communications personnel to produce monthly context – compilation of articles, links to relevant media reports, assessments, newsletters, etc from identified key sources.
- Support the production of monthly INGO Forum Newsletter – highlights key events, accomplishments, facts and figures and upcoming activities/events
- Regular update of the INGO Forum Contact list
- Support all new agencies on mission or being deployed with relevant information including linking them up with admin units in various INGOs for support
- In collaboration with the Communications Officer, compile new and update INGO Forum information materials for new and old members, including welcome packs, welcome presentations and other visibility materials.
Finance & Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with donor and host agency (in this case, Mercy Corps) regulations
- Draft or review scope of work to hire and manage technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget, as required.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- INGO Forum team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in Business, Accounting, Finance & Administration, Management, or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in working with financial, administrative and procurement systems.
- Demonstrated experience managing super busy program office setting and responding to multi-actor demands in a fast and efficient manner
- Experience working with country-level ministries and government officials.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with good command in English required, including documenting learning, report development, writing and editing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- The successful Program Assistant will combine exceptional management, communication, and relationship-building skills, with an ability to strategically develop systems, which are suitable for implementation. She/he will have an outstanding to supportively and diplomatically engage with partners.
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and attention to detail are essential
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.