Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Location: Biu, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s North East program aims to assist populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
- Mercy Corps also implement a program in 2 States “ISING” or Investing in the safety and integrity of Nigerian girls targeting adolescent girls and boys affected by the conflict in the Northeast.
General Position Summary
- The Driver will work within Mercy Corps Nigeria operational support structure, which is committed to provide reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
- The driver will provide safe, transport services for North East program and support staff in relations to Mercy Corps Nigeria activities. The driver will adhere to all traffic and Mercy Corps Nigeria safety rules and transport guidelines.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Operate program vehicle as assigned by supervisor in a safe and secure manner.
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations and report to the Operations Officer at the end of the month.
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to Operations Officer;
- Adhere to Mercy Corps Nigeria safety and communication protocols as advised by Operations Officer;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.;
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times;
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and guesthouse daily workloads;
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business;
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned;
- Adherence to Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte policies and procedures as outlined in the policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps Ltd/Gte and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Ensure compliance with all Mercy Corps finance regulation in carrying out activities as a Driver
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Be the security focal person when travelling with staffs on the road and report any incidence
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least minimum 2 year of experience working as a Driver (logistics or procurement), preferably within an NGO, international business or related field.
- Good organization skills, Ability to work under pressure
- Show demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action to avoid delays in activities.
- Good interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is require, good oral and written skills as well as Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally, S/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, willingness to be flexible and adjust schedule as per program needs.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
20th Aprl, 2017.
How To Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Allapplications must include the position title in the subject line.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.