The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Zonal Consultant – River Field Office
Job Number: 504081
Work Type : Consultancy
Purpose of the Assignment
- The purpose of this consultancy is to support the Field Office to assist State and LGA partners in the implementation of sustainable WASH services to achieve planned results under the FGN-UNICEF WASH Programme.
- The consultancy will be based on UNICEF approved Special Service Agreement (SSA) guidelines and managed by the Rivers Field Office to ensure effective implementation of all the planned WASH activities in Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers states.
- With the creation of Rivers FO and the resign of the former WASH state consultant position based in Rivers RUWASSA, the WASH section in Abuja and the Field Office in Rivers have approved this new SSA Wash Consultant in order to have additional human resources to support the WASH specialist managing 4 out of 5 states of the Niger Delta Support Programme (NDSP) that released counterpart funding after more than three years of advocacy.
- Assist the Field Office to strengthen the capacity of WASH sector institutions in Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers States & the 8 LGA levels including the LGA WASH Facilitators to plan and implement WASH programme in rural communities.
- Support the Field Office to organize activities for building capacities of WASH institutions; and review activity proposals from partners for recommendation to the WASH Specialist for approval.
- Provide technical assistance to states in the zone which includes Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers States Rural Water and Sanitation Agencies (RUWASAs) in the implementation, monitoring and supervision of agreed annual work plans with greater focus on ensuring quality of interventions.
- Assist the Field Office to conduct regular supportive supervision and monitoring of WASH interventions in the state and end-use monitoring of WASH-related Supplies.
- Provide regular update on the availability of Operational funds and Counter Part Funds at State and LGA levels especially in donor-funded projects.
- Assist the field Office to facilitate tracking of progress and produce reports with disaggregated indicators for planned project interventions in terms of quantity, quality, coverage, etc. and access of disadvantaged and marginalized groups.
- Assist the Field Office to support RUWASA in maintaining a regular flow of information among stakeholders at all levels and establishing data room where all information and documents relating to the tendering/contracting/payment processes, monitoring and progress can be obtained.
- Support the state in the documentation of process, progress and best practices of the project implementation to support evidence-based advocacy and learning (produce documentaries, human interest stories, case studies, etc.)
- Any other relevant assignment that the supervisor may give to help achieve the planned WASH results.
- Detailed work plan for the implementation of the consultancy
- Monthly Work plan for implementation of WASH Activities within the four states in the zone (Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers States) under Rivers Field Office.
- Monthly reports of WASH activities implemented within the zone and progress Reports on planned activities from the Field.
- Final consultancy report of all activities carried out.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University Degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering; Hydrogeology, Water & Sanitation; and Public Health.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in programme planning, implementation and monitoring preferably in water and sanitation sector.
- Good communications and writing skills in English.
- Excellent presentation skills, both in terms of written and oral communication.
- Willingness to travel to rural and semi-urban areas of the country.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
Application Closing Date
27th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online