African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Financial Analyst Assistant – Short Term Contracts (STS)
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
- The Vice Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to (i) strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development, (ii) support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and (iii) place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Bank’s Private Sector Development Department is to promote private sector in Regional Member Countries, ensuring that it plays a central role in laying the foundations in the development role of the Bank, in line with the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5 initiatives.
- As part of the Private Sector Development Department, the Strategy and New Products Division is responsible for preparing strategies, policies, guidelines, and analytical tools relevant to the sector; it also ensures global client management and undertakes specialized assignments for the Regions and Sectors, providing ad hoc advice on transaction bankability and structuring, finance and economic modelling and technical assistance for Private Sector operations.
- This position is part of the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team (IAMT), with a core role to assist Senior Analysts in the development of tailored Financial and Economic Models using Microsoft Excel.
- The incumbents will support the team in a number of highly varied areas of work.
- The role will require significant communication within the team and liaison with other departments, therefore strong interpersonal skills are essential. Based on their skills, aptitude and experience there will be opportunities to progress and develop the role.
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team, the role will be to assist Senior Analysts in the following:
- Financial Modelling
- Financial Model review
- Socioeconomic Impact Modelling
- Communication with Investment Officers/Sponsors/Third Party in person and remotely
- Supporting all areas of activity within the Investment Analytics and Modelling Team
The Investment Analytics and Modelling Team’s work is primarily aiding the Investment Officers in appraising their projects, from a financial, development and economic perspective. The Investment Analytics and Modelling Team prides itself on providing high-quality products and first class service. The role has a strong focus on financial consultancy skills which are transferable universally across the financial sector.
Selection Criteria (Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience)
- We encourage driven, diligent and collaborative candidates with strong initiative. The role requires working to deadlines, prioritising workload and providing a high level of service at all times.
Skills requested are as follows:
- Strong analytical, problem solving and numerical skills.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail and ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- A desire to deliver excellent service at all times while developing a strong rapport with stakeholders.
- A logical analytical approach to developing and implementing a solution.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The desire to perform to a consistently high standard.
- The ability and desire to learn and to develop the role.
- Be a strong team player with a proactive “can-do” approach. Applicants must have the ability, energy and appropriate demeanor to take initiative and plan and carry out necessary tasks to ensure the team’s activities are successful.
- Excellent sense of initiative, confidentiality, enthusiasm, and team spirit.
Experience requested is as follows:
- Have a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience working within a financial environment.
- Experience of using Microsoft Excel to an intermediate level.
- Experience in international organizations will be an asset.
Knowledge requested is as follows:
- Hold at least a Bachelor Degree or its equivalent in the following area of competence: science, engineering, maths, or economics-based degree or background.
- Have an understanding and interest in financial, accounting, and economics concepts with a desire to develop a technical career in international development Project Finance.
- Knowledge of cash-flow modelling is not essential, but would be an asset.
- Knowledge of international economic development issues is not essential, but would be an asset.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably, SAP.
Application Closing Date
12th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The incumbents will be offered a short term staff service contract (STS) for a period of six (6) months renewable, based on performance and the institution’s needs. This is not a regular position of the African Development Bank.