Solidarites International – For over 35 years, the humanitarian aid organization SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has been committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WaSH Coordinator
Locations: Abuja and Maiduguri
Desired Start Date: 1/05/2017
Duration of the mission: 8 months
About the Mission
A food crisis and challenging security lead to an expanding mission, with special HR benefits…SI has been operating in Borno State since July 2016, and is strongly focusing on the massive life-saving needs of the conflict-affected populations, through a 3-legged strategy:
- Multisectorial early recovery interventions in secured areas – Iimplemented at neighborhood level in order to take into consideration the environmental context, risk factors, availability of resources and resilience capacities at a community level. This holistic approach entails a vulnerability-tailored assistance combined with a capacity building component.
- Acting on water to fight against malnutrition – SI with its partner, a medical NGO, is doing its best to reduce malnutrition rates, especially of under-5-year children, alongside host communities and displaced people. To do so, SI equips nutrition and healthcare centers with water treatment and sanitation systems. In parallel, in host communities in both cities and in the camp in which 40,000 displaced people are living, within the walls of an old school in the city of Monguno, our teams are renovating water points, building toilets and working on water treatment solutions.
- Reducing food insecurity – In Maiduguri and especially Muna Garaje – SI is implementing cash distribution programmes with vouchers (particularly for families with acute-malnourished children) to permit food access to the most vulnerable populations. SI aims to reduce significant food insecurity in the area. The other important line is that our team is acting on the stabilisation and safeguarding of livelihoods, to empower populations and decrease their dependence on food assistance, and furthermore, to reduce food insecurity.
- An emergency multisectoral assessment capacity in remote areas – RRM-inspired, and taking into consideration Borno State-related security and access situation, this axis would allow the provision of concrete, response-sizing oriented data to the humanitarian community, in strong coordination with mapping and coordination actors (OCHA, IOM database, Intersos interactive mapping database).
- Rapid response mechanism in IDPs camp-like settings outside Maiduguri – subsequently to the assessment axis, SI is aiming at covering the basic needs of displaced and non-displaced populations pockets in Borno most affected LGAs, in completion of ICRC’s current one-shot coverage.
Organization of the Mission:
- The Nigeria mission is currently stabilizing its opening process. Due to projects’ expansion, a substantial increase in base staffing is ongoing.
- Coordination is expected to spend a considerable amount of time in Maiduguri, in direct support of field based operations.
- Therefore, the mission has a coordination team based between Abuja and Maiduguri, which includes a Head of Mission, an Administrative coordinator, a Logistics Coordinator and a Deputy Country Director supervising a Monitoring Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Coordinator, a Wash Coordinator, a Shelter Coordinator, a Reporting Officer.
- Operations are to be based in Maiduguri, Monguno and other relevant areas such as Dikwa and N’gala.
- In Maiduguri the team is currently composed of one Field Coordinator, Project Manager(s), a Base Logistician and an Administrator.
- The Monguno sub-base is composed of an Administrative and Logistics Manager supported by a Log/Admin assistant recruited as national staff and an activity manager.
About the Job
- The WASH coordinator, as technical advisor of the mission, contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP.
- He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of WASH.
- Bac + 5 (master’s degree) degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Environment and/or Geology, and/or professional technical humanitarian-oriented training (Bioforce WASH)
- Previous experience in coordination position.
- Three years’ experience in relevant Water, Sanitation and Hygiene project management and/or coordination in NGO / humanitarian fields.
- Previous experience in an unstable environment significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises (conflict / post conflict country), is an asset.
- Experience in cash-based project is an asset.
- Experience in team management.
- Experience in delivering training and capacity building of staff.
- Significant experience in an English-speaking environment.
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Technical knowledge on hydrogeology basics, boreholes drilling and O&M, wells construction, stream catchment and gravity flow network design and management.
- Knowledge of community mobilization, water and sanitation social management, hygiene promotion methodologies and public health basics.
- Knowledge in cash based initiatives is an asset.
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Knowledge of disaster risk reduction approaches would be an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Good organization skills.
- Good writing/editing skills.
- English mandatory (oral and written), Hausa would be an asset.
Other Desirable Qualities:
- Knowledge of working in an Islamic country.
- Ability to live in security-tensed contexts with restrictive security rules and limited leisure and entertainment possibilities.
- Patience, persistence, pedagogic talent.
- Autonomy, rigor and the ability to adapt are indispensable skills.
- Knowledge of the Afghan context would be highly appreciated.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft office package, Google earth pro, any GIS software like ARCGIS and/or CAD software like AutoCAD)
A salaried post:
- According to experience from 2000 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly, and a monthly Per Diem.
- As a special benefit for the Nigeria mission from the 1st of January until the 30th of June 2017, each expatriate will receive 500 euros on his monthly gross salary.
- Accompanied with 600 usd monthly per diem.
Social and Medical Cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- During the assignment, the expatriate is entitled to R&R every three months: two weeks at three months with a 500 euro allowance and two weeks at six months with a plane ticket back home covered by Solidarités.
- After 6 weeks one the field, expatriate will be encouraged to take 1 week in Abuja (3 days off and 2 days in office)
Application Closing Date
17th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
- The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension.