The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC is currently implementing programs in Health, Child Protection, Food Security, PRoL, WASH, Nutrition and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) in three States in North-Eastern Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Emergency Child Protection Specialist
Employee Type: Short-Term
Employee Category: Full Time
Sector: Child Protection
Scope of Work
- The Senior Emergency Child Protection Specialist will provide short-term support for three months to faciliate the expansion of child protection programming into newly accessible areas of Borno State, including Monguno, Konduga, and Gwoza local government areas (LGAs)
- In collaboration with the CYPD coordinator, the Specialist will be responsible for conducting assessments in the new areas of operation, determining implementation sites, recruiting and training child protection staff, providing technical support on child protection in emergencies interventions such as SLHS and case management, designing M&E tools and training on data collection, and supporting the establishment of a nutrition/CP intervention for children with severe acute malnutrition.
Work environment/Deployment Security Protocols
- North East Nigeria is security phase 4 (RED) so the Emergency CP Specialist will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in country. This position is unaccompanied
- The position will be based in the town of Maiduguri with frequent travel to program sites.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
- Manage the start-up of a new OFDA project and the expansion of emergency child protection emergency, including the development of M&E tools to measure child and family outcomes
- Conduct CP assessments in the newly accessible areas to determine needs and define invention sites
- Support the CYPD Coordinator and CP Manager with the recruitment of staff for the new locations
- Provide training to all newly recruited staff and the current child protection team on parenting, safe healing and learning spaces, case management and other identified areas
- Coordinate closely with UNICEF, ICRC and other key actors on the release and reintegration of children associated with armed groups
- Support the creation of a joint CP/Nutrition case management approach for children with severe acute malnutrition, including the development of a strategy document, designing tools and training case workers
- Work closely with the CYPD Coordinator and CP Manager to develop and maintain accurate project procurement, spending and work plans, ensuring the appropriate equipment and items are procured to implement project activities
- Maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders, including community leaders, state actors, NGOs, UN agencies, local partners and other IRC sectors to enhance multi-agency and multi sectoral cooperation and coordination.
- Other duties as required.
- A university degree in Social Work, Law, Gender, Development, Public Health or other related field.
- At least 3 years of related experience, including experience starting up child protection projects in complex emergency settings
- Thorough understanding of emergency child protection programming and practice
- Excellent technical skills and proven ability to train new and inexperienced child protection teams on case management, SHLS programming, parenting skills and other relevant areas
- Good interpersonal and team building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online