The International Rescue Committee has been in Nigeria since October 2012 and came in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner, Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication (CISCOPE), implemented projects to support food security, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH in Kogi State.
The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in partnership with strategic local NGOs.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Duration: 12 Months with possibility of extenssion
Salary Band: 8A
Start Date: Asap
Scope of Work
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services.
- The IRC is also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring.
- The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Manager, the Protection Officer will work extensively with other sectors, to ensure that protection principles are being incorporated into the Nigeria sector programs, and in particular with the Women’s Protection and Empowerment Coordinator, the Child Youth and Protection Development Coordinator and the Food Security team to strengthen the integrated nature of IRC’s protection and assistance programs in Nigeria.
- The Protection Officer will be the focal point in conducting protection monitoring in target areas and will conduct case intake for individual protection cases.
- The Protection Officer will also ensure the smooth formation and running of community based protection structures and mechanisms.
- Take lead in conducting protection monitoring (community and individual level) visits in target communities in order to identify protection trends.
- Establish, oversee and ensure the smooth running of Community Based Protection Structures or Protection Action Groups (PAGs).
- Identify, document and report on key protection issues, concerns and threats in target location.
- Ensure that minimum standards of protection are consistently applied through community-based protection methods.
- In coordination with the Legal officer and Assistant, oversee and manage individual protection cases.
- Support Information Assistants in conducting community mobilization, awareness raising and information dissemination activities.
- Support and participate in the organization and facilitation of Protection trainings at the community and state level.
- Identify and refer most vulnerable individuals to appropriate services and assistance.
- Ensure that all reporting is disaggregated by age and sex and information is effectively shared.
- Prepare a periodic program reports in consultation with the Protection Manager, Reporting/Database Assistant and other IRC Protection staff.
- Take part in the design, planning, execution and monitoring of protection activities.
- Take lead in budgeting and accountability for all community based protection activities.
- Take part in developing monthly work plan and visit the field sites, regularly hold FGD and community meetings
- Participate in data collection, vulnerability screening and assessments such as needs assessments, baseline/end line surveys etc.
- Develop and maintain good working relationship with relevant stakeholders such as government authorities, community leaders, INGO staff etc.
- Take good quality activity pictures and submit to the Reporting/Database Assistant and Protection Manager
- Work together with the Training and Capacity Building Officer to build and strengthen the capacity of community based structure and mechanism
- Keep record of all protection activities and attend regular program meetings
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- University Degree in Law, Political Science, Social Works, Psychology or any other related field.
- 3 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management.
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor
- Experience in working in remote and hard to reach areas with limited amenities.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value
- Strong computer skills require (word and excel).
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
4th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter and Resume in one MS word with the position they are applying for clearly stated in the email subject line to: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org
The Country Director,
International Rescue Committee,
Plot 902 Olu Awotesu Street,
Hand delivered applications should be sent to their Maiduguri Office:
Plot Number 7,
Jimina Road, GRA ,
Off Damboa Road,