Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Humanitarian Logistics Manager
- This role will lead or manage the set up or scale up of all emergency response logistics functions and responsibilities and will manage logistics staff.
- This role will support the Humanitarian Response Team Leader and other members of the senior management team on the best use of Save the Children’s resources, and will usually work at a country level.
- The role will include logistics support to large and/or complex programmes, with a broad spread of programmes, staffing, thematic interventions, and complexity.
- As such, the role may include remote management, management of multiple field bases or direct line management of a large single project or function.
- The post-holder will learn lessons from each assignment to help improve future practice.
- Management of all programme logistics; develop/implement the country logistics policies and procedures for the management of the supply chain, including procurement, transport and distribution, warehousing and stock management, and for the management of vehicle fleets, communication systems, and assets
- Ensure that Save the Children minimum standards of logistics procedures and country policies are implemented and adhered to throughout the programme, briefing and supporting relevant staff as required
- Manage and support logistics staff including ensuring appropriate team structures, clear division of responsibilities, clear objectives, and management of performance
- Ensure that the supply chain is appropriate and cost effective, based on budget, markets, infrastructure, nature of the Save the Children programmes, and need for timely delivery
- Provide advice and support to Humanitarian Team Leader on logistics issues, and collaborate with staff on budgets, technical aspects of the programme, and implementation mechanisms as required
- Where appropriate, be responsible for developing and implementing emergency preparedness strategies across the logistics aspects of the operation
- Provide logistics training and capacity building as required across the programme
- The post-holder will comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Leads on the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts
Achieving results effectively:
- Accountability – ensure efficient and transparent use of resources in accordance with internal controls
- Decision making – demonstrates flexibility to adapt to plans and make decisions in rapidly changing environments
- Impact – Makes changes to improve performance as a result of information received
- Programme Quality – Creates measures and metrics to track performance
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships:
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals, and monitors progress and performance
- Uses negotiation and conflict resolution skills to support positive outcomes
Operating safely and securely:
- Takes appropriate, coordinated and consistent action to handle situations of personal risk and risk for others
- Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
- Able to identify, and act on, low levels of resilience in others
- Remains focussed on the objectives and goals in a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using one’s position responsibly and fairly
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others
- Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind
- Demonstrates managerial courage by confronting difficult situations, seeking resolution and championing ideas
- Adapts plans and approaches based upon awareness of the external context
- Works to ensure that the workplace is inclusive and the talents of team members are harnessed to achieve individual and organisational success
Qualifications and EXperience
- Significant prior iNGO experience in logistics management, within a complex/large scale country programme and in emergency response/humanitarian environments
- Substantial experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, communications, and security
- Experience of developing / implementing a complex international supply chain to support different types of programmes, and coordinating resources to meet the programme objectives
- Experience of working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure
- Proven track-record in managing and supervising others in logistics, including training and capacity building
- Ability to synthesize and analyze complex information, and make clear, informed decisions
- Experience of advising and supporting others at all levels with logistics aspects of a programme, including strategic thinking and planning
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills in English and French, with experience in managing multicultural teams
- Technical experience/training in specific areas of logistics eg fleet mechanics, IT/communications networks
- Technical experience/knowledge in specific types of humanitarian intervention eg Health, WASH, Food Security
- Formal management training
- Knowledge of Hausa language
- Previous experience with Save the Children in a similar capacity
- Previous experience in northeast Nigeria or the Lake Chad Basin
Application Closing Date
13th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online