Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. With more than 3,900 humanitarian workers employed, and an average of 180 projects per year across 25 countries throughout Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, COOPI is the biggest Italian NGO.
COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014. The COOPI Nigeria Field Office is located in Potiskum, Yobe State, in order to cover five LGAs in Yobe State and to provide direct assistance to the IDPs and their hosting communities, through a multi-sectorial programme covering Food Security, Nutrition and Child Protection interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition & Hygiene Promoter
Location: Yobe, Borno (Damaturu, Fika, Kaga and Potiskum)
Project / Programme: Multi-sectorial intervention towards IDPs in NE Nigeria
Reports to: Nutrition Officer
Duration of the Project: 8 months (with possible extension)
Duration of the contract: 8 months (with possible extension)
Starting Date: ASAP
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Nutrition & Hygiene Promoters will be responsible for planning and implementation of nutrition and hygiene education activities in COOPI’s food security and nutrition operation area in Yobe and Borno states focusing on IDPs and vulnerable host communities.
- They will ensure comprehensive mobilisation of the community for nutrition screening of children under five, forming and monitoring care support groups, IYCF training.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Officer and in collaboration with the Project Managers, Field Coordinators, and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, they will:
- Perform screening of the nutritional status of children under five in their designated locations and refer SAM cases to health/CMAM centres
- Coordinate and collaborate with community mobilisers’ team leaders and lead mothers of care groups in implementing follow-up of referred SAM cases
- Follow up with the new admission of malnourished children
- Ensure liaison with existing community structures, (groups and individuals, women groups, religious leaders where possible.
- Collect and track weekly data at community level, including the results of MUAC screening during house-to-house visits, in accordance with COOPI standard nutrition statistical reporting forms
- Submit weekly nutrition and health report to the Nutrition Officer for onward sharing with the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Carry out the day-to-day Hygiene Promotion activities
- Provide training on nutrition (IYCF) and hygiene practices
- Distribution of hygiene items
- Follow referrals of all severely malnourished children to the stabilization center
- Keep defaulter tracing for malnourished children
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition Officer or the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Participate in the field work of the nutrition survey (impact assessment)
- Conducting cooking demonstrations
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Nutrition and Health qualifications (Diploma/Certificate)
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Good communication skills
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Proven experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill preferred
Desired Competencies / Skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri).
According to the experience.
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the e-mail subject: “Application for Nutrition & Hygiene Promoters in Yobe state”.
E-mail applications inclusive of:
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Cover Letter (max 1 page)
- Scanned copies of certificates (originals to be presented if shortlisted)
- Any late application or incomplete submissions will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.