Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. With more than 3,900 humanitarian workers employed, and an average of 180 projects per year across 25 countries throughout Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, COOPI is the biggest Italian NGO.
COOPI started its operations in North-East Nigeria in July 2014. The COOPI Nigeria Field Office is located in Potiskum, Yobe State, in order to cover five LGAs in Yobe State and to provide direct assistance to the IDPs and their hosting communities, through a multi-sectorial programme covering Food Security, Nutrition and Child Protection interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: BSFP Field Officer
Project / Programme: Multi-sectorial intervention towards IDPs in NE Nigeria
Reports to: Nutrition Officer
Duration of the Project: 6 months (with possible extension)
Starting Date: ASAP
Scope of the Vacancy
- The BSFP (Blanket Supplementary Feeding Program) Officers will be responsible for planning and distribution of WFP funded BSFP in Yobe state (Bade, Damaturu, Jakusko and Potiskum) focusing on IDPs and vulnerable host communities.
- They will ensure comprehensive mobilisation of the community for nutrition screening of children under five and beneficiary training on IYCF. .
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Officer and in collaboration with the Project Manager and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, they will:
- In charge of sensitization, providing key messages related to the programme objectives, organization of distributions, the use of the products and other messages related to IYCF
- Leading screening of the nutritional status of children under five in their designated locations and refer SAM cases to health/CMAM centres
- Coordinate and collaborate with community mobilisers in implementing follow-up of referred SAM cases
- Distribution of supplementary food to children under 5 years and PLW (pregnant and lactating women).
- Organise collection and tracking of weekly data at community level, including the results of MUAC screening during house-to-house visits
- Submit weekly/daily nutrition, health and distribution reports to the Nutrition Officer for onward sharing with the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Provide training on nutrition (IYCF) and hygiene practices
- Follow referrals of all severely malnourished children to the stabilization center
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition Officer or the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Participate in the field work of the nutrition survey (impact assessment)
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Nutrition and Health qualifications (Degree/Diploma/Certificate)
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Good communication skills
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill preferred
Desired Competencies / Skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri)
TBD, according to experience
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: email@example.com specifying in the e-mail subject: ‘Application for BSFP Officer in Yobe state’.
E-mail applications inclusive of:
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Cover Letter (max 1 page)
- Scanned copies of certificates (originals to be presented if shortlisted)
- Any late application or incomplete submissions will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.