The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA Project Coordinator, P4 (364 days with possible extension)
Job Number: 502941
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
- Under the direction and guidance of the Chief of Health and working closely with the Health Manager and programme specialists across other sections
- Provides overall management for the EU MNCHN project aimed at strengthening primary Health Care and Community Resilience for Improved Maternal, New-born, Child Health & Nutrition (MNCHN) Outcomes in Adamawa, Bauchi and Kebbi States of Northern Nigeria.
Key Expected Results
- The goals of the Project Coordinator will be to accomplish project objectives by planning and evaluating project activities within the timelines with desired quality.
- The Project Coordinator is responsible for providing coordination, leadership, and resources coordination to meet the goals of the project.
- He is to lead and coordinate, on a daily basis, the implementation of the EU project activities and the work plans, ensuring they are delivered on time and to the agreed quality standards and budgets.
Working under the supervision of the MNCH Team Leader, the main job duties and roles of the EU Project Coordinator will be as follows:
- Provide practical, hands-on coordination and technical support to the EU-MNCHN project ensuring the quality and timeliness of all project components
- Coordinate day-to-day activities of sectoral team members for implementation of the various project components
- Track project implementation progress and ensure timely completion of the planned activities as per approved EU-MNCHN work plan
- Liaise with the MNCH manager, steering committee team at Federal, the CFO and field project colleagues and, sectoral Chiefs to coordinate and monitor project implementation
- Oversee review of project work plans and planning process for the subsequent periods
- Ensure that project implementation conform to the policies and procedures of UNICEF and the Contribution Agreement signed with the EU
- Oversee procurement processes related to EU-MNCHN including delivery and distribution of equipment and supplies
- Ensure that quality progress reports are produced and submitted in a timely manner to the MNCH Manager and Section Chiefs for submission to EUD according to the contract schedule
- Prepare inputs for monthly EU-MNCHN Technical Working Group meetings and Quarterly EU-MNCHN Steering Committee meetings for Section Chiefs and participate in the meetings
- Liaise and coordinate with other sections at UNICEF involved in the EU-MNCHN project specifically Nutrition, HIV, Child Protection, WASH and Communication (including C4D)
- While ensuring the Section Chiefs are fully appraised on progress, develop and maintain positive relationships with all project partners, especially the Delegation of the European Union in Nigeria and the FMOH and SMOH
- Report regularly to the MNCH Manager and Section Chiefs on project progress and provide regular updates on the EU-MNCHN project.
- While ensuring integration of EU-MNCHN project implementation within the regular MNCHN project, coordinate the EU-MNCH project team promoting a “One team approach” and ensuring accountability of team members for their expected deliverables
- Provide leadership and direction to the EU-MNCHN personnel for timely and quality project implementation
- Promote and support effective team working through one-to-one communication and regular team meetings
- Agree clear performance objectives for all consultants, and ensure all team members have appropriately set objectives, and that performance assessment are undertaken in a timely manner
- Contribute to the recruitment and induction of EU-MNCHN project consultants as required.
- Provide overall supervision and coordination of the project budget, including regular monitoring of expenditure against approved budget, in accordance with UNICEF financial procedures and guidelines
- Review financial reports and ensure consistency and accuracy of data.
- Monitor DCT at Federal and State level and ensure timely disbursement and retirement
Communication and Reporting:
- Review financial reports and ensure consistency and accuracy of data
- Prepare high quality presentations and briefing packs in appropriate formats for briefing of partners and stakeholders as appropriate
- Review draft reports from assigned staff ensuring quality standards are met
- Write comprehensive regular reports as required in the M&E Framework and the Visibility Strategy outlining project progress, key achievements, challenges and steps being taken to address them, and next steps for submission to Section Chiefs
- Advanced university degree (minimum Master’s degree level) in one of following areas: Management, Public Health, International Development, Medicine, Social Sciences or related field is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible professional work experience in an international organization with proven records of coordinating large projects is required
- Experience in coordinating and supervising teams with a mix of skills
- General knowledge of health issues, RMNCH and Nutrition, is desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to negotiate with project counterparts from the Government and European Union Delegation
- Strong communication skills, including writing and public speaking
- Strong planning, organization and strategic thinking skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communications [III]
- Working with People [III]
- Drive for Results [III]
- Formulating strategies and concepts [II]
- Analyzing [III]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Learning and researching [II]
- Planning and Organizing [III]
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
Application Closing Date
6th March, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online